Planet X/ Scandium/ Cayo comfortable for long distance??

spadey
spadey Posts: 54
edited December 2008 in Workshop
Am in a bit of a mess at the moment as can't decide which bike to go for. I mainly ride club runs in a very hilly part of Devon, but looking at doing a few races next season and will be doing a few 100 mile sportives. I know that really I need two bikes a race bike and a long distance but at the moment I'm going to have to settle for a one for all bike.

Have just test ridden a specialized tarmac comp 08 which is going for £1099 - a bargain for this bike. Have also seen a Bianchi C2C 928 Carbon 105 (2008) for the same price. However from reading the forums I have been sucked in a bit by the value for money packages from Planet X and also on the Kiron Scandium and Focus Cayo. I am eligible for Cyclescheme but neither wiggle or planet x do this anymore, so looks like I'll have to pay full whack.

So can any owners of the planet x carbon SL pro road or the scandium or the cayo shed any light on how well they hold up on a long sportive ride. I know some people like to flip the stem to raise the bars a little, does this work effectively? Also I am a little concerned that I will instantly need to change to a compact on the planet x to get up the hills round here! Also how well do they hold up on bumpy surfaces as the roads are dreadful in places round here!

Any help and advice would grealty be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    at £1099 I'd have the tarmac comp - hardly any doubt.

(I say 'hardly' as I would be tempted by the bianchi which might be comfier)

The tarmac with a couple of spacers is almost as high at the front end as the roubaix - but will have a livelier ride.

it might only be 105, but that's an excellent frame and a very smart looking bike. I'd want to upgrade the wheels but then I would on any of the bikes you mention.

the cayo is very racy - lower front end than the tarmac even - the planetx slightly better. Both well respected bikes and a lot of owners on here love them, but my money would be on that tarmac
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The Tarmac Comp looks like the bargain out of those options. I can only speak of the Planet-X, mine is supremely comfortable, on a par or better than my 531 Steel Dawes Audax (which I consider a very comfy bike). It came with the stem in the upward position and everything seems just right for long rides. It came with a 50/34 compact as standard. I presume the Tarmac will have more racy (less comfy?) geometry, and the C2C is probably more appropriate to your needs, but I wouldn't discount the P-X, it might ride better than you expect. You probably can organise a test ride with P-X, I know sometimes their staff will take bikes to customers if you are not near their HQ. Really the best choice can only be determined by riding them all, and regardless of the relative value for money, the best fit and ride quality is the best value for you.
  • spadey
    cheers, I did really like the tarmac comp and it is a good price. Just concerned that the planet x bikes offer so much more I guess.

Any other thoughts on the matter?
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    they offer a better groupset - but thats about it really.

and actually only parts of a better groupset.

the tarmac is a full 105 groupset - inc calipers an chainset which most bikes scrimp on. and it has some great finishing kit - the Pave seatpost is a great piece of kit (£60) plus the toupe saddle (£70) and a great frame to hold it all together
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I wouldn't be swayed by the DA versus 105 groupset, you get shifters and mechs only in DA on the Planet-X, which are great to have, but it is the overall package that counts (the model B wheels are also excellent, highly rated in the C+ test this month) . 105 is fine. The Tarmac still may not be the comfiest ride though, and I really think you should go and test ride a number of bikes first (possibly beyond these choices) if long distance rides are an important aspect for you.
  • spadey
    Just to throw another spanner in the works, what about the Ribble Nero Corsa with full Ultegra groupset and RS20 wheels at £1099!!??
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    yeah you see the RS20 wheels are very good by all accounts, sounds nice with Ultegra.
  • spadey
    Well, went to test ride the Bianchi C2C this afternoon and fell in love with it. Got the 09 model with veloce groupset for £1150 a big saving off the rrp of £1550 so pretty chuffed and it rides like a dream.

Cheers for all the advice
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    spadey wrote:
    Well, went to test ride the Bianchi C2C this afternoon and fell in love with it. Got the 09 model with veloce groupset for £1150 a big saving off the rrp of £1550 so pretty chuffed and it rides like a dream.

Cheers for all the advice

where did you get it from?
  • spadey
    From Sidwell Cycles in Exeter, they are the only Bianchi dealer in Devon! Had to pay cash to get it at that price but very pleased with the saving.