cold weather... cold feet

tony macaroni
tony macaroni Posts: 12
edited December 2008 in Workshop
Any suggestions to stop my toes from freezing when out riding on these cold mornings?

I've got the wooly socks and boots but they still feel numb.

Thanks

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Overshoes.
  • wilwil
    wilwil Posts: 374
    PRO overshoes
  • Harp
    Harp Posts: 79
    Northwave boots

Can't rate the highly enough, do a forum search on them.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Winter boots 1 size larger than you would normally wear and good socks such as Wollie Boolies or similar to create 'warm air space'. Boots or shoes too tight will do you no good.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    And use a faster cadence rather than a big gear and wiggling toes helps too.
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Agree with Cougie. I have Northwave Revenge road shoes and thin DeFeet socks. High cadence keeps the bllod flowing and everything nice and toasty.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    overshoes are whats needed - I have the fairly cheap DHB ones from wiggle - not waterproof but windproof and make a massive difference to your feet temp.

I also have some little pearl izumi toe-cover things which are surprisingly effective for not-so-cold conditions or when you want to wear 3/4s (as overshoes look ridiculous with anything other than full length tights!). they were about £8 if I remember right and are really good at blocking the air passing into your (probably well) ventilated shoes.
  • thanks for all the responses.

any suggestions on the best buy overshoes (apart from those already stated) and any other tips?

cheers
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    +1 to the Izumi toe-covers

neoprene o/shoes this weather. The Pro range look good and I was looking at some Lusso ones yesterday that are velcroed entry (ooh er) and a reinforced toe. Zips get road clag in them and jam and certain shoes eg Nike have a raised bit on the front of the sole that chews thro' the overshoe. Sidi circular tensioners eg Ergo 1/2 can also dig thro'. I'd also want a sole that is closed by a velcro strap instead of just a hole that 'stretches' around the cleat. The Lusso ones had an elastic piece across the sole but the wide entry made them easier to get on/off. I use Assos but figure the Lusso were as good. BBB make some good ones as well. Wool socks are a must - DeFeet Woolie Bully. Have you checked your shoes don't have vents in the sole? Some eg Spesh or Shimano have vents that need plugging/taping in winter
    M.Rushton
  • I use Woolie Bullys and the Pro Neoprene overshoes and haven't suffered from cold feet this winter (unlike my hands but that's another story - see other thread in this section). Tried lots of overshoes over the years and can generally manage with just windproof ones but the Pros are really warm and seem very well made. Tried some Endura neoprenes last winter which were just as warm but the zip lasted about six rides.
  • wilwil wrote:
    PRO overshoes

PRO Tarmac NPU+ overshoes

Good down to about -2 as long as your shoes have room for your toes to wiggle a bit... No circulation and you're stuffed.
  • Overshoes and a good pair of wooly socks!
  • Socks wise, I've got some O'Neill branded socks that are designed for wintersports. They are knee length, but the foot section is lower bulk than the section over the lower leg. This allows me to wear a really thin pair of coolmax sock liners under the woolly socks, and not have overtight shoes. The extra bulk keeps my lower legs warm, my uppers don't need as much protection (? is it to do with muscle mass??) and under a set of neoprene over shoes (some veryold Sidetrack booties in my case) my feet stay reasonably warm on most days.