New Bontrager Hardcase Tyres

Soni
Soni Posts: 1,217
edited January 2009 in Workshop
After aquiring many punctures (sometimes as many as 2-3 per week) i have replaced the tyres that came with my bike with Bontrager HardCase.

My first impression this morning is wow! They seem to grip the road a hell of a lot better (and its very frosty this morning with ice on the roads in the lanes) and also the rolling of the tyres doesn't seem to be compromised at all by the tipple puncture resistance.

They also make the bike feel a lot more stable and a lot more comfortable than the previous tyres.

They were one of the cheapest puncture resistance tyres i looked at, and purchaed purely on reviews i read on the net.

Really happy with purchased as could have paid out double-triple easily on a new set of tyres than what i paid for these. :D

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    they are good - people rate them highly but the remain a well priced training tyre

I have ther 28's that came as std on my trek pilot and used them a lot - including a C2C ride last may with some off-road(y) sections and they were great - very comfy too - you don't realise how uncomfortable a 23mm tyre is (or what a difference tyres make) until you ride a 28!
  • h14turbo
    h14turbo Posts: 329
    By the looks of it, you have a Trek 1.5. I have one as well. The original tyres were trully terrible. I went through 10 inner tubes in less than 400 miles. Having had the bike for less than 2 months. I therefor upgraded the tyres to Bontrager Race x Lites, which are superb. I have not had a punctures sinse. 800 miles on.
  • oh good - I have a Trek 1.2 coming soon and they have the Bontrager Race X lites fitted as std...

and managed to find replacement/spare ones from halfords at just £11.99
  • Soni
    Soni Posts: 1,217
    I've just 'unintentionally' put my new HardCase through a tough test......if they don't flat out through what i've put them through today then nothing will puncture them!

I went out on my usual morning ride this morning, and looked at Google maps and noticed another road i could take that would enable me to avoid a busy main road which i normally take that is quite dangerous......

So, diverted by about another 2-3 miles, only to find that the road is marked as Private Road Residents Only.....

So, asked a chap repairing his car how i get back and he told me along Pilgrims Way but its an unmaed road, unmade was the word for it, it was mountain biike terratory with a muddy track with tree roots exposed, and massive lumps of flint sticking out of the path which i caught quite a few times. Eventually i had to get off, as the bike was slipping everywhere and i was clipped in to the pedals and nearly came off a couple of times. I got back home and the wheels were sticking but i put it up on the maintenance stand and luckily found no buckles just a brake block rubbing on a tyre..... :D

So, if they don't flat out then i will be really happy with these tyres.

On another note - can they state this road is Private Only if its shown on a map???

Here it is:-

I want to take Culdrum Lane (in Trottiscliffe) off of Pinesfield Lane through to Stangate Road....

http://maps.google.co.uk/

:? ?????? :?
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    oh good - I have a Trek 1.2 coming soon and they have the Bontrager Race X lites fitted as std...

and managed to find replacement/spare ones from halfords at just £11.99

... are you sure ? I think the 1.2 comes with Bontrager Select tyres, which are good for keeping the rims off the tarmac :(

You gotta buy a Madone to get Race X Lites :D
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?