What Cassette?

n1cck1
n1cck1 Posts: 4
edited December 2008 in Workshop
I have a Dawes Giro 300 2007 model road bike, which is currently set up with Shimano Sora STI 7 speed. I want to upgrade my wheels, nothing too fancy just a decent set of wheels, i had the Miche Race Clincher in mind. It doesn't specify what cassette the wheels are adaptable with on wiggle, as my Dawes has a 7 speed cassette, would it fit straight on or would i need an 8 speed cassette? How easy are cassettes to remove and install?

Any info would be greatly received

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    You will obviously need the Shimano version rather than the Campagnolo version, and if you fit this before the cassette, your 7 speed cassette will work fine.
  • Thats Great, thank you very much
  • alien8
    alien8 Posts: 16
    Just wondering but are you sure that your Dawes isn't using a screw-on 7-speed freewheel rather than a cassette? If it is you'll also need to get a 7-speed cassette for your new wheels.
    How easy are cassettes to remove and install?

Easy if you have the tools.

Cheers, Alien8
  • Good question, i honestly dont have a clue, is the difference easy to spot?
  • alien8
    alien8 Posts: 16
    Good question, i honestly dont have a clue, is the difference easy to spot?

I suspect you might be running a 14-28 freewheel which looks something like this http://www.cyclesuk.com/268-448137? This is (was) standard for the 7-speed Giro. It just means you can't reuse it on a freehub.

The good news is that with a new 7-speed cassette you'll get a better choice of ratios if you find 14-28 a bit wide or the 14 not a big enough gear.

Cheers, Alien8
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    If it's only a couple of years old I'd imagine it to be a cassette rather than a freewheel.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • I think freewheels are still used on a lot of the budget bikes. My winter bike certainly uses a freewheel, and it's only a year old.

According to this http://www.cycletoworknow.com/cart/deta ... nformation The 2008 Dawes Giro 300 uses the HG37 freewheel.

Cheers
    Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...