New Clipless Pedals

Soni
Soni Posts: 1,217
edited December 2008 in Workshop
I have just rode for the first time with my new clipless pedals - Shimano R540 SPD-SL

Prior to fitting the above pedals, i was using normal pedals with straps.

This is the difference i have noticed this morning whilst out on my ride.

1. Discomfort in front section bottom of thigh above knee (not the knee though).

The above seems to replicate the saddle being too low, although was previously perfect. I have just read on Google that cleats add about 2cm to your height so saddle height has to be increased to suit.

2. Probably just as awkward to get your feet back into as straps, as i thought they were weighted and kept in the correct position to clip back into? Mine are not doing this......

3. They are giving me the impression that i am pedaling on tiptoes......

4. Not a lot else really, i thought i would feel the extra energy in pedaling but i can't notice any difference - unless this is unnoticeable.....

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    You'll get used to them eventually, and it'll all be good (if your cleats are in the right place)
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    you won't feel any benefits at all if your cleats are in the wrong place - you need to adjust them so that the ball of your foot is directly beneath the pedal axle - at the moment it doesn't sound like it is.

Pedals of that type will not sit level, the rear will always drop. If anything, that makes it easier to get the cleat in 'nose first'...
  • Soni
    Soni Posts: 1,217
    Hi guys, yeah the cleat is beneath the pedal axel, but whereas my older normal pedals were beneath the arc of my foot, these pedals are beneath the ball of my foot......just feels realy awkward, and my foot seems to be pedaling pointing downwards, am i supposed to keep the foot horizontal to the floor to prevent this happening?
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    soni - I'm not sure if you have understood correctly. The ball of your foot should be in line with the pedal axis - you will need to position the cleat on the shoe so that it gives you this foot position when it is clipped in. There will probably be markings on the cleat (and maybe the shoe as well) to help you with an approximate set up which you can then fine tune.