What Chain and tool?

canada16
canada16 Posts: 2,360
edited December 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys

I want to buy a new chain as the old one is looking really rusty and had it over a year now.

Though I would be adventurus, and do it my self.

I was look at these two as they are cheap:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... uctId=1239

Or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cyclo-bike-chain- ... 240%3A1318

I also need to know what chain is compatable and also the best, was looking at the XT chain or XTR chain, but they dont have good reviews, people say they keep braking.

Was looking at the sram pc971, as looks cheap and chearfull.

Thanks so much.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i would avoid shimano chains unless you use a sram/kmc joining link. the shimano chains come with a pin which is crap. the sram and kmc links mean you can split the chain without a tool in the future which is handy for cleaning.

my fave chain is the kmc x9, decent price and weght, lasts forever and shifts really well, even under heavy pedalling.

i have the second of the chain tools and its very good.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    It's normally advised that you change the cassette with the chain.
    If you've been running this set up regularly for a year then the teeth will be quite worn, this might mean some gear skipping if you install a new chain... just a though.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • canada16
    Thanks guys, im glad someone got the fleabay one, as its the cheapest.

I was looking at the KMC one but read somewere, pins impossible to remove and some guy had to use a vice.

I might look at that one if its ok, as its only 270gr.

Thanks again.

Ps. there are a few x9's.. one is a x9.93, and another x9L, And then the SL but thats way too much for me.

Also my cassette is ok, miss-treated my chain in the rain with dry lube a few months back, so thats why its gone, not probs with gears at all, now using wet lube all the time and a proper clean every 3 weeks at most.
  • Anonymous
    i used the x9 93 last tme i bought one and its spot on, next time i buy one though it will be the sl version as at under 20 quid for decent weight it looks a bargain.

your current chan and cassette might be working fine at the mo but that might be worn at the same rate as your chain so stil messhes properly, you might find a new chain will skip over the current cassette but i would try it first perhaps.

tis worth investing in a chain checking tool so you can keep an eye on your chain as it wears, this means you can change your chain before it has the chance to start wearing out your other drivetrain components.
  • canada16
    Ok

So I know how much the tool is, but how much for a good cassette, might ask for one for b-day.

Thanks.

What the best and cheapest.

I cant find the x9-sl cheaper than 20.00?
  • Anonymous
    sorry, chain i meant was the light:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=25421

i dont know if i would trust hollow pins on the sl with my bulk stamping down on the pedals. as for the review on crc about the kmc pin not coming apart, ive never had a problem with any of the dozen or so i have fitted before.

cassette wise for me it has to be the xt, very light, has composite carrier so will be safe enough for use with alloy freehubs and can be had for a good price, i got mine form merlin for 32 quid i think, ebay might even do them for less.
  • Anonymous
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... goryId=123

quite cheap if you include an xt chain too, just remember to pick up some power links to join the chain with as shimano pins are truely awfull.
  • canada16
    Ah cool.

Thanks mate.

Might stick with the KMC then, as heard they are quite reliable.

Will see how the cassette wears with the chain, if I need one will have to buy, but I think its ok.

Thanks again
  • does anybody know what tool and pin you use for KMC 27 chains cos i've no clue and their website wern't much help.

Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Another vote for KMC (X9L in pimpy gold), i use a Park CT-5 chain tool. Merlin have the silver version for about £15
  • canada16
    Are most tools ok with most chains?

Dont want to buy this one from fleabay if I can use for sram or KMC.

Thanks
  • Anonymous
    as far as i know, all chain tools are fine for all chains, ive used mine on a sram one and a shimano one but never needed to use it on kmc as mine have always been fitted with a power link. to be honest i have only ever used it in order to fit a power link to a chain that hasnt had one fitted in the first place.

the only chain i have ever had which broke was a shimano one and that was due to the joining pin failing (but i fitted it so that probs had something to do with it)
  • canada16
    I know the wiperman ones use like an hour glass design and you need a special tool for that, but not sure about KMC.

Would like that one as its cheap and light, but dont want to but if the tool wont remove the link.

Cheers
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    If our chain is over a year old and rusty you will have to replace the cassette at the same time. Put a new chain on and it will jump and slip as it will have matched the stretched chain.

Some times you can get away with it if you have looked after your chain and not put many miles down.
  • canada16
    Might have to wait for birthday then.

My cassette still looks brand new no rust at all, but my chain looks nasty.

Can you get a shimano cassette with sram or kmc chain or vise versa?

Also does anyone know if the standard tool will remove the kmc link?

Thanks
  • Anonymous
    you can use sram or shimano cassettes with any manufacturer of correct speed chain.
  • Anonymous
    who told you that wipperman needs a special tool? frm the looks of it, theres nowt particularly special about the pins and wippermans own tool is suitable for use with all chains too.
  • Anonymous
    also, the link that comes with the kmc chain (i think they call it a missing link) can be fitted and removed by hand. im confident the chain tool you want from ebay is fine for doing a kmc chain, should you need to if the chain breaks

http://www.kmcchain.com/index.php?ln=en&fn=bu_bicycle this shows the cross section of the chains and theres nowt speial about how the pin works.
  • canada16
    Hey

Its something a seen on a website, I do tend to belive everything I see on-line...LOL

Thanks mate, will buy that tool from fleabay, and look at a chain, if it skips, will have to buy a cassette, dont really want to but hey.

Thanks
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If you're tooling up, just get the £33 Lifeline kit from Wiggle, it comes with a pretty decent chain breaker (Park copy) which would set you back around a tenner seperately, and also gets you a cassette tool and chain whip in case you end up having to do the cassette, and many other lovely toys. I'm kind of assuming that you don't have many other tools since a chain breaker would be tool number one, but ignore me if I'm wrong ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • doesn't say anything about my chain on there and i can't seem to find anything on it anywhere else on the site, does anyone know what i need to be looking out for to split the chain intentionally, is there a specific one or do i just do any of them. And also where do you get KMC joining pins from

Thanks, Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • Anonymous
    any chain tool will work and the pins are available from crc or probs anywhere. you can use sram power links instead
  • canada16
    Thanks guys.

Yes I have no tools, apart from the standard alan keys and wrenches ect...

I didnt buy any as my LBS is so cheap for repairs, they charge for the chain and like a 1.00 for fitting, but cant keep taking my bike there for every little thing.

I was looking at that life line thing, as I will need one day and its handy to have.

Thanks guys for all your help

Will prob go for a KMC chain with a sram or shimano xt cassett or something.

Thanks again
  • Thanks sheepsteeth, are sram poowerlinks good cos they certainly sound a good quick option.

Thanks, Yukon Lad

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • Anonymous
    yeah, they are ace, i cant believe shimano havent adopted the system.
  • alright thanks, i'll order some off the web

Yukon Lad

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008