pedals stuck on

popette
popette Posts: 2,089
edited December 2008 in Workshop
apologies if this has been posted before ( I did check but came up with nothing) but I'm trying to remove a pedal and it's stuck fast. I have a pedal spanner and a strapping husband but we can't get if off. We have tried all combinations of pulling and pushing, me standing on pedals, him holding cranks me pulling spanner etc etc etc but still it remains stuck fast.
It's a spd pedal and I'm trying to put on my new speedplays which I had for christmas - yehhhhh!!! (People just laugh when I tell them I had new pedals for christmas - they don't realise that this is a wonderful present)

I think I may go out with different shoes and pedals tomorrow - might help as my spds are so easy to clip out of and spds may take a little getting used to. However, what do I do after that - can you recommend a good method of getting off a tricky pedal

cheers luvs

(I'm drinking G&T's and waiting for my turn on guitar hero whilst writing this - by the way, I rock and just beat slash in a battle!!!)

Comments

  • bluecow
    bluecow Posts: 306
    I had this problem recently with my spds stuck on. Got my dad and my brother to try(yes we were unscrewing the non-chain side the right way). In the end i took it to LBS and they somehow got them off in a jiffy in the workshop. I didnt see what they did. Probably threatened them with a blunt instrument. They didnt charge me either, it being such a small job.
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    Popette,

    Apologies for asking the obvious question but you do know/remember that the left hand pedal has a left hand thread? Is that the one you can't remove?
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    hey Eddy & bluecow,
    it's the right hand pedal - we looked at the thread, worked out the way we would screw it in and then did the reverse.
    If I can't manage to get it off I may just call in at the LBS after my ride tomorrow - I remember another embarassing incident when I struggled with a pedal and they popped it off in seconds.


    BTW, I ROCK!!!
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    popette wrote:
    hey Eddy & bluecow,
    it's the right hand pedal - we looked at the thread, worked out the way we would screw it in and then did the reverse.
    If I can't manage to get it off I may just call in at the LBS after my ride tomorrow - I remember another embarassing incident when I struggled with a pedal and they popped it off in seconds.
    In that case try applying a bit of heat around the spindle hole on the crank (yup, hair dryers do have other uses... 8) ) and sharp blow to the pedal spanner normally does the trick
    popette wrote:
    BTW, I ROCK!!!
    I reckon the G&T must be kicking in then! LOL! :lol:
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    have you tried giving it one of those looks? you know them ones you women do?

    It'll probably undo itself :shock:
    Manchester wheelers

    PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,304
    Add length to give you more leverage. Seriously, you probably need to lengthen the wrench to be able to add more leverage to it. Something like a length of scaffold pole would do it.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Eddy S wrote:
    popette wrote:
    hey Eddy & bluecow,
    .
    In that case try applying a bit of heat around the spindle hole on the crank (yup, hair dryers do have other uses... 8) ) and sharp blow to the pedal spanner normally does the trick
    popette wrote:
    BTW, I ROCK!!!
    I reckon the G&T must be kicking in then! LOL! :lol:

    so put the pedal spanner on the pedal and then hit it?

    You could well be right about the G&T - my husband is now wearing my daughter's hannah montanna wig and is rocking out. I just beat slash in a guitar battle - my husband is really impressed with my strumming!!!!!!!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    popette wrote:
    my husband is really impressed with my strumming!!!!!!!
    :oops: TMI possibly :lol: Getting my mind out of the sewer, have you tried tying the crank to the chainstay? An old toestrap or rachet strap will suffice but make sure there is no slack in the strap and turn the pedal counterclockwise. Given the statements about visits from messrs G & T do this in the morning with an headache.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    will try that but in the morning. I'm definiltely drunk now.
    you know when they do driving tests with alcohols and the restults always show that a little bit of alcolhol increases your reactions? - well, I've gone beyond that now. I just bombed out on two performances. Damn it. Still way ahead of the rest of the family but that's because I'm so damn competitive.

    will try the tying crankj to chainstay - I have a few zip tie thingies.

    I think I may h ave a headache in the mroning - got a 40 jmile planned for the morning

    typ8ing is sh!t. no wonder I can't play guitar anymore.
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    try and get some penetrating lubricant into the thread and leave overnight - plusgas is best but wd40 or gt85 will do. Then get some decent tools and give it some welly! A vice can help if you have the crank off, otherwise get the pedal spanner and crank about 30 degrees apart and squeeze them togethr. If that fails whack the spanner with a rubber hammer. As has been said, the right hand pedal unscrews anticlockwise, the left hand pedal unscrews clockwise.

    When you fit the new ones make sure you put some anti-sieze on the thread!
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Hi Popette, hope your hangover wears off quickly, and the 40 miler goes well. To get your pedal off you only need a piece of pipe to put over the spanner as was suggested by Andyp above. The extra leverage will get it off. Thats exactly what the LBS will do. Let us know how you get on. Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    thanks for all the advice - I'll give it a whirl tomorrow. there is no way I'm cycling today - lying on the sofa is all I can manage
    :oops:
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Try this - rotate the crank so that it's horizontal, towards the front wheel, put the spanner on the pedal so that it extends forward too. Put your foot on the pedal and press down as you pull up on the spanner with both hands.
    If that doesn't work, keep the crank facing forward but fit the spanner so it's almost doubling-back, but it has to be above the crank i.e. crank 3 o'clock, spanner 10 o'clock - . Hit the end of the spanner firmly down with a heavy hammer - it should crack the join. If both of these fails, then it will probably need the scaffolding pole mentioned earlier!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Try this - rotate the crank so that it's horizontal, towards the front wheel, put the spanner on the pedal so that it extends forward too. Put your foot on the pedal and press down as you pull up on the spanner with both hands.
    If that doesn't work, keep the crank facing forward but fit the spanner so it's almost doubling-back, but it has to be above the crank i.e. crank 3 o'clock, spanner 10 o'clock - . Hit the end of the spanner firmly down with a heavy hammer - it should crack the join. If both of these fails, then it will probably need the scaffolding pole mentioned earlier![/quote
    Having read popettes recent post i would stick to the scaffolding pole, anything else will be a disaster :D:D:D
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • fcumok
    fcumok Posts: 283
    I had a similar problem. Instead of a scaffolding pole I used an old alloy seatpost with a seat on. Did the trick :D