Sir Chris Hoy

2»

Comments

• Dave_1 wrote:
    stunned by reading of the 1 or 2 ignoramuses who are now saying Hoy didn't deserve it. Lock f**cking trolls out pls mods. Hoy deserves respect not troll ars*@!#*s embarssing BR

Just because some people don't share your opinion, it doesn't make them either ignoramuses or trolls.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    Dave_1 wrote:
    stunned by reading of the 1 or 2 ignoramuses who are now saying Hoy didn't deserve it. Lock f**cking trolls out pls mods. Hoy deserves respect not troll ars*@!#*s embarssing BR

Just because some people don't share your opinion, it doesn't make them either ignoramuses or trolls.

no just miserable ahlarses
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Dave_1 wrote:

Wow Dave, that must be some hangover to last two full days.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    afx237vi wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

afx...ok, well...I did get out the wrong side of bed this morning..no hangover...but start of the year pressure. I do feel Bikeradar has to keep some standards...Hoy's achievements and award are beyond question other than by one who simply wants to provoke for the sake of it.
  • dave_1
    Dave_1 wrote:

Fair enough...but insincere postings suggest a provocation for the fun of it...but I accept your right to disagree with me
  • afx237vi
    Dave_1 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

afx...ok, well...I did get out the wrong side of bed this morning..no hangover...but start of the year pressure. I do feel Bikeradar has to keep some standards...Hoy's achievements and award are beyond question other than by one who simply wants to provoke for the sake of it.

To be fair, I don't think anyone in this thread has questioned Hoy's achievements as a cyclist, his contribution to British cycling, or his position as a role model to future cyclists. He is all that, and a nice guy as wll.

The only thing people have questioned is the decision to award him a knighthood at this moment in time, when he still has years left of his career. I think that's fair enough, but then I'm not particularly a fan of the honours system in the first place.
  • dave_1
    afx237vi wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

To be fair, I don't think anyone in this thread has questioned Hoy's achievements as a cyclist, his contribution to British cycling, or his position as a role model to future cyclists. He is all that, and a nice guy as wll.

The only thing people have questioned is the decision to award him a knighthood at this moment in time, when he still has years left of his career. I think that's fair enough, but then I'm not particularly a fan of the honours system in the first place.

to me Hoy deserves the highest honour any country can muster...agree the honours system is odd...needs looked at...does the Queen have to be involved?
  • Dave_1 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

to me Hoy deserves the highest honour any country can muster...agree the honours system is odd...needs looked at...does the Queen have to be involved?

That's fair enough Dave, we all deserve an opinion. By the way, I don't live under a bridge....

Further to your point, is the Queen really involved anyway?

I would have loved to have seen Mark Cavendish honoured; 4 wins in the biggest race in the world and an otherwise exceptional season, I feel that he's been overlooked somewhat. Maybe his honours will be in the future though, after all, there's plenty of riding left for him to do...
  • mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    " I would have loved to have seen Mark Cavendish honoured; 4 wins in the biggest race in the world and an otherwise exceptional season, I feel that he's been overlooked somewhat. Maybe his honours will be in the future though, after all, there's plenty of riding left for him to do... "

Me too . Hope so .

However , it's been touted that he maybe a contender for the TdF 'green jersey' in the future ( and that in itself won't attract the attention of those that dish out the gongs ) but is there anything to suggest he might be anything more than a 'one trick wonder ' i.e. the final killer sprint ? Are not TDF green jersey wearers usually more well rounded 'cyclists like Sean Kelly . Cav doesn't appear to be able to ride hills with any confidence .

The only race I can imagine him doing better than he did this year in 'le tour', is - if he got lucky in the dash after surviving a few easier than usual hills - the world champ's in some distant future .
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • afx237vi
    If McEwen can win a green jersey (or 3), then I see no reason why Cavendish can't do it too. They're both similar in terms of climbing ability.

It may not be this year, but the Tour just needs to have an old-style route with four or five consecutive flat stages in the first week. That'll give him an opportunity to build up a lead, which gives him more incentive to fight over the rolling/hilly stages that suit Freire or Bennati a bit more.
    mercsport wrote:
    The only race I can imagine him doing better than he did this year in 'le tour', is - if he got lucky in the dash after surviving a few easier than usual hills - the world champ's in some distant future .

2010 Melbourne is supposedly flat. Distance could be an issue. Can't recall he's ever ridden a race over 250km yet.