Camping Forests

Mattbot2
Mattbot2 Posts: 384
edited January 2009 in The Crudcatcher
Hello,

Would really like to try out some of my Ray Mears stuff and I'm unsure of where to find forests / woods that allow starting fires and camping etc. Does anyone know of such a resource that will tell me?

Thanks,

Matt
2q2kfno.png
^^^ Click for pictures of my bike ^^

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Wild camping is usually ok but fires are a no-no unless you get the land owners permission
  • Mattbot2
    ibbo68 wrote:
    Wild camping is usually ok but fires are a no-no unless you get the land owners permission

Yeah, I was looking for some forests where it's known to be allowed?

Cheers,

Matt
    2q2kfno.png
  • It is illegal to camp on any land / public right of way without owners permission e.g. from the forestry commission or local farmer. but that never stopped me. Iif you camp without their permission and the farmer / landowner points his gun at you, run away screaming like a girl and find somewhere else to camp.
    Just go out and do what the hell you want,
    No that i sugested that... :roll:
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    David Lund wrote:
    It is illegal to camp on any land / public right of way without owners permission e.g. from the forestry commission or local farmer. but that never stopped me. Iif you camp without their permission and the farmer / landowner points his gun at you, run away screaming like a girl and find somewhere else to camp.
    In England yea. Wild camping is fine in Scotland, nothing they can do about it there. But fires are against the rules...don't think there's many places that'd let you do it unless you can find some privately owned land with a leniant owner.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • sniper68
    David Lund wrote:
    That isn't really good advice.ALL land is owned by someone or other and these land owners allow access.If everyone "did what the hell they liked"then land owners are well within their rights to deny access.
    A blind eye is generally turned on responsible wild camping.Fires are frowned upon as they can get out of control and devastate huge areas,as happened on Ilkley Moor a few years back.
    MTBers that "do what the hell they want"and ride footpaths etc are giving us all a bad name and this could also result in land being closed to the public.
    Do what is legal and ask permission if in doubt is better advice 8)
  • ibbo68 wrote:
    David Lund wrote:
    That isn't really good advice.ALL land is owned by someone or other and these land owners allow access.If everyone "did what the hell they liked"then land owners are well within their rights to deny access.
    A blind eye is generally turned on responsible wild camping.Fires are frowned upon as they can get out of control and devastate huge areas,as happened on Ilkley Moor a few years back.
    MTBers that "do what the hell they want"and ride footpaths etc are giving us all a bad name and this could also result in land being closed to the public.
    Do what is legal and ask permission if in doubt is better advice 8)

Woah there, sorry it was just a joke.

I agree with what you say, most landowners dont like it if you do so but are not likley to report you but its always much easier to ask permission first.
    As to wild camping in scotland, that is only on open access land such as game moors and grasslands so its well worth checking just incase you are on a privatly owned area.
    David
  • http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/uk ... 00037_en_1

Take a look in here, you might find some 'interesting' legal stuff to help you.
  • Mattbot2
    Thanks lads, not looking hopeful then. I guess i'll have to practice my firelighting when i'm stuck in the Antarctic. ;)
    2q2kfno.png
  • How old are you ? This is the sort of thing your local scouts or boys brigade will do.
    It's 30 years since I was a scout but we used to light fires and camp in the woods perfeclty legally, and run around with bloody great knives on our belts.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • You could always try asking on the forums over at http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/. May not find a forest/wood, but maybe a campsite where you could do that sort of stuff.

Maybe with hot showers too for the odd comfort "emergency" :wink:
    time flies like an arrow
    fruit flies like a banana
  • Do you live anywhere near the Ridgeway? Camping is perhaps not 'allowed' as such along it, but seems to be permitted. I've spent months down there camping and having fires and all the wardens who patrol some parts have ever done is offered me rabbits.
    Music by me: Drum and bass http://www.myspace.com/johntechno
    Other stuff http://www.myspace.com/ohcd
  • sniper68
    How old are you ? This is the sort of thing your local scouts or boys brigade will do.
    It's 30 years since I was a scout but we used to light fires and camp in the woods perfeclty legally, and run around with bloody great knives on our belts.

But that was before the PC/tree hugger/H&S brigade took control :roll: We had knives and air rifles,fires in our local woods,no one gave a damn.Better days 8)
  • Better days indeed. I was never a scout (hippy parents thought uniforms were evidence of fascism) but when I was a kid everyone I knew had a penknife. Mine was a razor-sharp Wilkinson Sword one that my dad bought me in Germany - I think I swapped it for a BMX when I was about nine. We used to take them to school with us and none of the teachers were concerned - that'd probably get you arrested now. Funny how you never got any dodgy blokes trying to show you their willies back then - I suppose the idea of getting a .177 diablo pellet down the old jap's eye was off-putting.
    *Wistfully thinking about going out and buying an airgun tomorrow...*
    Music by me: Drum and bass http://www.myspace.com/johntechno
    Other stuff http://www.myspace.com/ohcd
  • sniper68
    I had one of those sheath knives with the deer antler handle,the blade was about 5 inches long!It was always strapped to my snake belt :D You'd probably get arrested if you bought your kids one now :roll:
  • Mattbot2
    I was a scout. But it was rubbish.

"Here's some matches, go find some wood and light a fire".

Hmm... Matches are a regular occurrence in the wilderness right?
    2q2kfno.png
  • DHO Dude
    DHO Dude Posts: 292
    I helped out at the scouts I used to go to untill i left for uni, and it was a right laugh. They just went mountain boarding, did trips to Cwm Carn and still, make barbeques in the woods etc etc. Kinda wish i was still 15!