a cautionary tale

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited December 2008 in The Crudcatcher
i just recieved my mtb coach level 1 award which means i can take folk out for a ride into the wilderness (well almost). be aware, i am a rubbish bike rider but am now qualified so if you are going on a skills course or out for a ride with a guide, dont rely too heavily on their quals to indicate anything about how good your day out is gonna be!!

That is all!!

Comments

• LMAO!! where/when did you do your coaching? didn't realise you could become a mountain bike coach!
  • Anonymous
    i did my course at a barracks in chilwel and it was taught by a well known (in certain circles) performance athlete coach

i only did it as the army requires people to be qualified to conduct any sports activities and this qual ticks that box.

god help any of the blokes i end up taking out, its gonna be pretty embarrassing getting over taken and out-wheelied by eveyone im supposed to be leading!!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    But the best leaders work from the rear!

And as a leader it is your responsibility to keep up with the slowest :lol:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    i like your logic there nick and i have adopted it as my catchphrase

"come out with me, i promise you wont be the slowest!!"
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    nicklouse wrote:
    But the best leaders work from the rear!

And as a leader it is your responsibility to keep up with the slowest :lol:
    I'd be an excellent leader then, seen as I'm usually the slowest, or tagging along with the slowest!
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Anonymous
    andy, we should start our own bike tour company, we could call it, "really slow bike tours" i reckon there is a niche in the market somewhere
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    andy, we should start our own bike tour company, we could call it, "really slow bike tours" i reckon there is a niche in the market somewhere
    Whenever I catch up with somebody, after the initial small talk they always have to explain why they are going so slow - like I care. Yesterday - a glorious, crisp, frosty morning on the Chase - bloke A was 'getting over flu'; last week bloke B was 'recovering from a broken arm'...

Best one was a while back...'I've just fitted a new BB and it's really tight' lol
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    I'm forever breaking new parts in gently, or just doing a recce for a much faster run later on! :oops:

Niche market my arse, you'd be fully booked, with plenty of amusing sudonym no doubt. :lol:
  • are you sure your a mtb coach? i suspect your qualified to be a mtb leader. your ability to lead a group around a basic non technical route safely is more important than your riding skills. when i did my course we only had to demonstrate competent bike riding skills, and basic maint. the emphasis was on how to lead a group, first aid etc.
  • Anonymous
    it is the preliminary coach qual and is essentialy what you have described, either way if i was hiring someone to be a mountain bike leader or whatever, i would expect them to be able to ride a bike properly.