xc rcaes on full suss

phelim1
phelim1 Posts: 53
edited January 2009 in XC and Enduro
is there many riders racing on full suss bikes? something light like whyte 120 xt.

Comments

• El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    I race on a Giant NRS. This year, I did HONC, Hit the North and Sleepless in the Saddle on it.

TBH, it's better for the 12 and 24 hour enduro races, where rider comfort comes into play. It was bit heavy for HONC, which was better suited to a CX bike.
  • SiLanc
    SiLanc Posts: 180
    In my first year I rode a 32 pound bike (Merida Transmission Speed Disc) at enduro's, 2 hour xc races, 12 and 24 hour events. It was comfy on the longer events as Capitano says but it was definitely heavy enough...and then we had all that mud through the Summer which made it even heavier! I suppose it's helped build up the power in my legs! I now ride a 24 pound Scott Spark 20 which has (apparently) got all the Spark 10 finishing kit on it (I've never checked to be honest). It's a damn sight lighter and therefore faster and I don't get so beat up :)

I've only ever ridden full suspension but know that, particularly on the shorter events, a lot of the whippets prefer a hard tail.
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • bigdawg
    bigdawg Posts: 672
    I ride short course xc races on a full suspension Giant carbon thingy, in fact my 2nd ever xc bike was a GT LTS1 (all those years ago!).,...

yeah its a bit heavier than other bikes, but Im a good climber and have todate never lost a place on a hill, and it makes the dh sections a breeze. Not for everyone but I wouldnt change it......
    dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    Yep ive done the Gorrick XC races on a full susser. You see all sorts of bikes from cheap to SILLY expensive. At the top level its still far more common to ride hard tails or at most something 4" Epic like but if you have more travel you can always pump it up a bit harder than normal
  • phelim1
    purchased whyte 120xt and have to say a far better bike than my old hard tail. have a couple of races in jan which i'm looking forward to.
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    What races are those? I am doing the Gorrick one on the 18th
  • phelim1
    Bangor co.Down run by xmtb.