Garmin edge 705 - GPX filenames on the device in Saved Rides

doright
doright Posts: 4
edited January 2009 in Workshop
hi all,

I have been pouring over this excellent forum, as well as the Motion Based one , and have a question; apologies if I've missed the answer.

I see that an awful lot of time and effort has gone into trying to get this device just to do what it says on the tin, ie navigate!

Anyway, without going into the course / route debate, my quesion is specific and I wonder if anyone else gets this issue, before I check with GARMIN

If I upload GPX files to my GPX folder on the device, for later retrieval via "Where to?->Saved Rides" I find one of the following;
- via bikeroutetoaster.com all routes are called "course" no matter what I name it on the website
- if I copy it manually from my compututer a diamond symbol appears in the file-list instead of the filename.

I'm running windows vista, and firmare 2.5 on the garmin edge 705. Any similar stories?

Comments

• Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    I use a Mac, so not sure if this will be the same for you...

What I've always done is save the coruse from Toaster to my desktop. Rename the file there, then drag it into the GPX folder on my Edge. They've always come up with the correct name on the Edge.
  • I find Frank Kinlan's site to be an excellent resource http://frank.kinlan.co.uk/?page_id=920

Scroll down to the bottom to read the various posts and solutions.
  • Philip,

many thanks for your reply. Short answer is it works if I save to my PC first, so thanks.
    Long answer is 2 things seems to be going on,
    1) toaster does seem to have a small bug whereby it doesn't let you choose a filename, it always saves it as course.gpx, on device, and on PC, but its easy enough to rename the file.

2) since I live in france, I've been using GEORANDO v1.6 to create my gpx files. it seems that whilst the 705 can read the files and display the route, for some weird reason it can't read the filenames. Guess I'll use toaster now.

thedaffodilfish - thanks, yes the Frank Kinlan site is excellent, I've been using that too.

thanks again guys,
    now to test this all out, oh for a simple life eh?
  • Philip S wrote:
    I use a Mac, so not sure if this will be the same for you...

What I've always done is save the coruse from Toaster to my desktop. Rename the file there, then drag it into the GPX folder on my Edge. They've always come up with the correct name on the Edge.

I do the same thing with routes I've made in bikely. Save to computer, rename, then drag to GPX folder. Not particularly elegant, but it works.
  • oops, double post
  • hi i run a Mac and have found the route on the internet its saved in my documents folder with the appropriate name but when i transfer it to the correct folder it comes up with a name track 1009_1805 which can't be changed - when i look at the file in the edge 705 whilst its connected to my mac the correct name is displayed

please help