''29-ers''..........are they any good??

LoUiS1985
LoUiS1985 Posts: 841
edited December 2008 in MTB buying advice
hi all,
i'm going to be getting a new hardtail in the near future mainly for riding to work (30k round trip) and weekend xc use. i am intrigued as to whether or not a 29" bike would be any good. has anyone got one or know much about them. i will have around £500 to spend so can anyone point me in the direction of some that i could hopefully test ride.
thanks in advance
Louis

Comments

• daver1
    daver1 Posts: 78
    As long as you are reasonably tall (>5'10) they're worth considering for offroad use and might be slightly quicker on slicks for your commute. At the moment because they are sold in smaller quantities you won't get as good value as you can find with a standard 26 inch wheeld bike and you won't find a huge choice under your budget.
  • yes i've noticed that there isnt too much about really. was gonna try one for size/fit/comfort then maybe try get one second hand so i can get more bike for my money. i am 6" foot btw. so do you have one then dave???
  • Look out for the Gary Fisher Rig for that sort of money or something from On*One.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Why not try a few out? They aren't all the same. Just another option that you may or may not prefer.
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    I've had them (still got one!) and for XC use they are fine, I've ridden mine up in theDark peak one some very rocky descents and it was no problem for the bike. But, at £500 I'd think the 29er market is pretty limited. SO I'd suggest looking at 26" wheeled bikes as for £500 there is far more choice. Most of the 29er's at that price are single speed...
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • I'm 6ft and ride an Inbred 29er (steel) 21" After years of riding 19" 26ers, as seem to be recommended for someone my size, it was like coming home. The bike felt instantly right. I've used it for local trails, trail centres and road rides. It's ideal for me.
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Suprising that, my On-One ScandAL 29er is 18" and perfect for me at 6ft. A 21" would be like riding a gate to me! :lol: BUT, no having a go at me, because as you say its what YOU are comfortable with.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • TonyWard
    TonyWard Posts: 149
    I'm also interested in a 29er (am 6' 5"). But difficult to know how you try one out given they are scarce and riding it round a car park beside a shop is unlikely to give you much of a feel for advantage/ disadvantage.

Anyone know if there are any demo days that include 29ers (they don't seem to feature in the Evans demo bike selections)?