Mix & Match Components?

NWLondoner
NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
edited December 2008 in Workshop
If I buy a Shimano 105 clad bike is it correct or not that I can update each component as they get worn or when i can afford it to say Ultegra or Dura Ace?

i.e upgrade the cassette first then a few months later upgrade the crankset etc?

Comments

• NWLondoner wrote:
    If I buy a Shimano 105 clad bike is it correct or not that I can update each component as they get worn or when i can afford it to say Ultegra or Dura Ace?

i.e upgrade the cassette first then a few months later upgrade the crankset etc?

Hi there.

Yes 105 10 speed stuff is completely interchangeable with Ultegra and DA 10 speed stuff.

Cheers, Andy
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    NWLondoner wrote:

Hi there.

Yes 105 10 speed stuff is completely interchangeable with Ultegra and DA 10 speed stuff.

Cheers, Andy

Thanks 8)
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    7900 is not all compatible with older 10-spd stuff though...... 7900 rear mech needs to be used with 7900 shifters.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • 7900 is not all compatible with older 10-spd stuff though...... 7900 rear mech needs to be used with 7900 shifters.

Is that right? I thought it was the brakes, but then again, I think I heard the front mech somewhere as well. Those cunning Shimano rubes trying to make sure we don't 'just' buy the STIs to get rid of the gear cables.....
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    7900 is not all compatible with older 10-spd stuff though...... 7900 rear mech needs to be used with 7900 shifters.

Is that right? I thought it was the brakes, but then again, I think I heard the front mech somewhere as well. Those cunning Shimano rubes trying to make sure we don't 'just' buy the STIs to get rid of the gear cables.....

Oh yeh, and the brakes aswell.......
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr