Time pedals + Specialized shoes

dttlincs
dttlincs Posts: 384
edited December 2008 in Workshop
Firstly I want to get either some Time RXS, Edge or First pedals.
Is there a big difference between the specs of these 3?
Secondly will the cleats fit onto my Specialized road shoes with 3 hole fitment?
I want to change to Time as I understand they a better if you have dodgy knees. At the moment I am using relatively old Look 247 pedals.
I am inclined to get the cheapest of the 3 and if I get on well with them will put onto the 2nd bike and get some more for the best bike.
Thanks.
Still thinking!

Comments

• Time RXE are fine
    They have standard 3 hole fit

Difference between RXE and RXS is the spring pressure is higher on the RXS
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    I got the RSX pedals last March. Used them all season with some Sidi Genius shoes. The fitting is the same as Look pedals. The three holes is fine.

I suffered bad knees with the Look style pedals and went with Time because the connection on the pedal is metal not plastic, therefore less wear on the pedal and only cleats to replace. There is more lateral movement in the Time pedal and therefore better for the knees, the cleat also makes for a closer shoe to pedal connection which I believe makes for better efficiency. My knees were better this year, although I have to say that they are not as good for me as the Shimano SPD's I ride on all bikes except my summer road bike. I will stick with them though. I won't be going back to Look.

Hope that helps.
  • dttlincs
    dttlincs Posts: 384
    lfcquin wrote:
    I got the RSX pedals last March. Used them all season with some Sidi Genius shoes. The fitting is the same as Look pedals. The three holes is fine.

I suffered bad knees with the Look style pedals and went with Time because the connection on the pedal is metal not plastic, therefore less wear on the pedal and only cleats to replace. There is more lateral movement in the Time pedal and therefore better for the knees, the cleat also makes for a closer shoe to pedal connection which I believe makes for better efficiency. My knees were better this year, although I have to say that they are not as good for me as the Shimano SPD's I ride on all bikes except my summer road bike. I will stick with them though. I won't be going back to Look.

Hope that helps.

Exactly which shimano pedals do you use?
    Still thinking!
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    The Shimano M540 double sided MTB pedals. They won't work with the three hole road shoes, so shouldn;t be an option for you unless you want to replace your shoes as well. Of all the pedals I have used, these are by far the easiest on the knees. I use them on my fixed, winter and mtb bikes. Just fancy something a bit racier on my main road bike, hence the RSX pedals.
  • gundersen wrote:
    Time RXE are fine
    They have standard 3 hole fit

Difference between RXE and RXS is the spring pressure is higher on the RXS

I have RXS and RXE and would say the main difference is that RXS are fine to get into, but RXE are a total pain in the spindles. they always sit the wrong way when you're clipping in, you can't feel whether you've got the right side or not, and even then they take an age to engage. I'm getting frustrated just thinking about them..... :x