Shortening Disc Brake Hose

pirwin1
pirwin1 Posts: 248
edited December 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I've just fitted my new Avid Juicy 7s to the bike and they came pre-bled however the hose on the rear brake is too long.

Basically I'm just wondering if there is a way to shorten the hose without having to bleed the brake?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Not really.

get a bleed kit as you will need new ends and the syringes etc..

but i would take it back to the supplying shop for them to sort.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    You'll need good cable cutter and the olives etc. Not done it with DOT brakes personally, didn't find setting up Shimanos particularly difficult though, but then they use mineral oil which is easier to handle.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • pirwin1
    pirwin1 Posts: 248
    Thanks guys. Didn't think there would be a decent short cut but why not ask eh?

Bought myself a bleed kit as I'm sure it will come in handy in the future as well. Can't wait to get the hoses shortened so I can enjoy some good brakes for the first time!
  • i just fitted my brakes as they came with the long cables. Wanted to have that new brakes feel and didnt want to plunge myself so soon into the hell of bleeding brakes. i will shorten them when the brakes need their first bleed. But i guess if you know what youre doing there is no problem, or if being done by an expert.