New better bike v Upgrades ? Is it worth it ?

-liam-
-liam- Posts: 1,831
edited November 2008 in MTB general
Ok. So earlier this year I bought My Kona Fire Mountain.

http://www.ashcycles.com/power/index.ph ... urrency=BP

I paid a few quid more than the one in the link and in hindsight I probably could of chosen a better equipped bike but I liked it anyway.

As you can see from the spec, it is all pretty basic sutff. Acera 24 speed gears, alivio shifters, Dart 1 forks, basic cranks etc....

I've since fitted, lots of bits including;

Deore Hollowtech cranks
Deore Rapidrise rear mech
Deore shifters
Deore Front mech
Sram PG-950 9 Speed cassette
Sram PC971 chain
Shimano M520 spd pedals
XTR Gear cables
Shimano Brake Cables
Replaced basic tyres with some chunky kenda ones

I'm not made of money and I have an eye for a bargain and my plan is to sort some better forks, some hydro brakes, perhaps change the wheels and hubs.Obviously all the above was done just cos I wanted to as part of a hobby/sumat to do rather than bits wearing out etc but my question is will I have a half decent bike when finished ? My perception is that the Kona Frame is a goodun and that all the bits I've bolted to it will make it a decent bike rather than the budget example it was when it arrived at my house in a big cardboard box?

Or should I just knock it on the head, ride it and break it and save some cash and blow a grand on a bike ?

I've done about 1200 miles since June when I bought it and that includes 5 weeks off in Aug/Sept with a broken foot. I treat it fairly harshly but it does get looked after.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Difficult one as you have changed so much already. Unfortunatey I think in the wrong order, as a new fork would have made the most difference.

I thinky you would have to compare to something like a the Boardman comp and Merlin MALT1 which have good forks and kit for the money. I imagine you could sell the Kona for 250.

New forks and wheels would be less than the difference though and make a good machine. Recons can be had for 150, XT hubs on 717 rims another 125.
  • you have some good kit on the bike, as supersonic said...the forks aren't the best and decent replacements can be had quite cheap.

So lets say £250 for your bike, then you make up the difference with another £250 for a half decent £500 bike.
    or
    spend £150 on a new set of forks, wait till you trash your wheels and buy some better ones and you have a very decent bike and save a few quid in the process.
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    Personally I would ride it for a few years and save the money and get a whole new bike at the end of it.
    Saying that if you want to upgrade, Forks and wheels will make the biggest difference. Just remember there is only so far you can take upgrading before you replace the frame anyway and then you have a new bike...
    Not really active
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    I knew people would would mention the forks lol.

I nearly bought a set of toras the other night but held back as xmas is just around the corner so they can keep till january.

So the general consensus is that I should change the forks and then replace other stuff as it breaks but no point in buying a better bike now.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    I would say, upgrade everything by time, including frame, and you'll finish with a cracking bike. :D
  • As Xtreem said, if you are happy with the frame i would upgrade everything as you go then change the frame sometime in the future. When i got back into biking about 2 years ago i started out with a 2 year old Carrera Kraken, and within a year i had upgraded everything, then transfwered that lot over to my 456 and i am left with an absolutely cracking bike. I did get the forks with the frame though, so if you want to future proof it i'd get some adjustable travel forks, just in case you go all freeride or something :wink: