Anyone tried the Google Chrome browser

stubs
stubs Posts: 5,001
edited November 2008 in The Crudcatcher
Sick to death of Internet Explorer freezing all the time got all the latest updates and it seems to me its getting worse it freezes on me every other session.

Tried Firefox and couldnt get on with it for some reason

Fancy giving Chrome a try anyone got any good or bad things to say about it and can I transfer my favourites from IE. Also any other alternatives.
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

Comments

• tis good, GF is addicted! the only annoying this i've found is with downloads...if you close a tab it keeps downloading but you dont know what its finished.

other than that it 10 times better than explorer.

what about safari? i think you can get that for windows now...i use it on mac and its amazing.
  • stubs
    Just downloaded it colours look a bit odd and I cant find a homepage button how do you get back to homepage
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Its nice and fast but zero security so watch out for the pop ups and spyware.

If you want a alternative to IE, get Firefox. Customisable with add ons such as spell checker, adblock and different themes and it is light years ahead of IE with regards security.
  • stubs
    tried Firefox no likey
  • stubs wrote:
    Just downloaded it colours look a bit odd and I cant find a homepage button how do you get back to homepage
    homepage is new tab :)
  • to see the downloads from closed tabs, just open the downloads window (ctrl J)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i just downloaded ie7pro and its very good, looks just like normal ie but it has already solved the slowness of bikeradar (summat to do with the CRC advert apparenty) and the whole internet seems faster.
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    I don't know if they fixed the security issues with Chrome (something along the lines of Google seeing every page you visit, including stuff like webmail), but Iron is a rejig of the Chrome code without the phoning home. It is very well optimised for running JavaScript.

Safari under Windows has had a few fairly major security holes, I'm not sure how many have been solved. One included the ability to download and run arbitrary executables without any input from or knowledge to the user.

What was it you didn't like about Firefox? Maybe try Opera? I don't know if IE8's on a public beta, but that's set to be quite different from IE7 from what I gather.
  • IE8 is on beta. I'm running it at the moment. Not good, so far corrupted lots of web pages and generally irritating :evil:
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    I like Chrome - if one tab does freeze you dont have to close all the others because it runs each as separate "program".
    Only problem i found is that it didnt used to like Hotmail but its ok now.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    amyabcd wrote:
    IE8 is on beta. I'm running it at the moment. Not good, so far corrupted lots of web pages and generally irritating :evil:

Is it a public beta?

It's meant to break things, though, isn't it? From what they were saying at the alpha stage, they've actually decided to support HTML and CSS this time[1], so anything written for IE <7 will be horribly broken, and most things for IE7 won't be as expected.

[1]Of course, they said that about IE7. too.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    I use Opera and It serves me well.

It's very great at downloads. If from some reason your internet connection fails, you can
    resume your download at any time.

Not on like IE or Firefox when you have to start it all over again, I think. :?

And I like the speed dial a LOT. :D
  • mcbazza
    mcbazza Posts: 251
    Chrome shows a lot of promise. But, I have the following problems with it:-

1. Not secure enough (yet).
    2. No Linux support (yet).
    3. No support for auto authentication with our proxy at work.

But, as someone that is well versed at pre 1.0 software, I have to say that it's very, very good so far!!
    Stumpy, Rockhopper (stolen!) & custom SX Trail II - that should do it!
  • Big Red S wrote:
    amyabcd wrote:
    IE8 is on beta. I'm running it at the moment. Not good, so far corrupted lots of web pages and generally irritating :evil:

Is it a public beta?

It's meant to break things, though, isn't it? From what they were saying at the alpha stage, they've actually decided to support HTML and CSS this time[1], so anything written for IE <7 will be horribly broken, and most things for IE7 won't be as expected.

[1]Of course, they said that about IE7. too.

Its public yes, I have had it 2 days. Thats two days too long. I will see what you all recomment but I think I might have firefox by this time tomorrow.

Amy
  • stubs
    Big Red S wrote:
    I don't know if they fixed the security issues with Chrome (something along the lines of Google seeing every page you visit, including stuff like webmail), but Iron is a rejig of the Chrome code without the phoning home. It is very well optimised for running JavaScript.

Safari under Windows has had a few fairly major security holes, I'm not sure how many have been solved. One included the ability to download and run arbitrary executables without any input from or knowledge to the user.

What was it you didn't like about Firefox? Maybe try Opera? I don't know if IE8's on a public beta, but that's set to be quite different from IE7 from what I gather.

Tried Firefox for a month and for some reason I just didn't like it cant put my finger on it just didn't like it :?

Been dipping in and out of chrome today getting the hang of it but will have to try it for at least a week before I decide. Will try Opera as well maybe swap back and forth between Chrome and Opera for a month or so. Internet Explorer can go shove it as far as I am concerned I have had too many freezeups right in the middle of work
  • stubs
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    stubs wrote:
    homepage is new tab :)

Just found the homepage button it is an option in the customise and control menu click options and then basics tab check home button on toolbar and Bobs your mothers brother a home button appears to left of search box