Are my forks broken?

sanins192
sanins192 Posts: 38
edited November 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

Two weeks ago I bought these new front forks: http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/102223.html

I cut the steerer tube and attached them with no problem. I have only had a small ride on the bike round the block, but I think they may be broken. The right tube does not adjust at the top, and when I turn the hydaulic adjuster at the bottom of the right leg hydraulic fluid comes out of the space between where the knob meets the fork.

Is this normal, or is there somtething wrong with it? To the feel it doesn't feel broken, but it loks like it is as it does not adjust and leaks slightly.

Is it usual for Internet sites to do an exchange when the steerer tube has been cut?

Thanks!

Comments

• -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Well you generally have to cut the steerer tube to fit it regardless. I'm not sure how they might feel about you (a non pro) fitting them. Does this effect your consumer rights ?

Perhaps you should just contact them, I'm sure everything will be cool if it is a genuine defect.
  • OK, thanks, I have contacted them about it. It is a clean cut so hopefully they will get the hint when I say that I 'fitted' it to my bike.

My only problem is removing the star fangled nut wihtout it breaking up, or that is another fiver wasted.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Leave the nut in, you will need a new one. They generally can't be reused.

You rights are unaffected cutting the tube: the problem lies elsewhere.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It's sometimes possible to reuse a star nut- I've done it a couple of times. If you thread a long M6 bolt through the nut then pound it through the fork with a drift, it'll come out in good condition as you've never hit the nut itself, and the thread is fairly long so probably won't get damaged. Once it's out, you can reshape it if need be and refit. Obviously it's better to start with a fresh one though, and they're hardly expensive, but sometimes you get caught out. (with me, once by assuming one would come with the fork, and once by randomly losing the new one- still haven't found it)

This does assume that your steerer is open at the bottom and doesn't taper of course.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I managed to get the top preload adjuster working again today with the help of my trusty friend, the adjustable spanner. I think it was on too tight in the first place, although my problem still lies with oil leaking out of the bottom. I had a look today and it seems that less is leaking out, and it only happens when I turn the adjuster. Is this normal for a little fluid to leak out or is it broken?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Does happen with a lot of forks - may just be residual oil. If it is not dripping out, all is usually fine.
  • OK, thanks for the reassuring words.