garmin edge 605 or 705? advice needed.

gematkinson1
gematkinson1 Posts: 69
edited December 2008 in Workshop
hi guys, just wondering if i could get some help and advice.

iv no experience at all of using gprs, except for my crummy 1st gen iphone (über innacurate!)
Basically im looking at a garmin 605 or 705, and im wondering if you could answer me a few things. My main thing i want to use it for it navigation, the recording and logging of data is a secondary concern (although very cool and im sure il be well into it!).
Ideally what i want it for is to create routes in bikely and save them in a gpx format, then upload them to the unit and follow them on the screen. Like i said the heart rate etc is not really that much of a concern, so i was thinking the 605 might be the unit for me, as its like £40 cheaper (which id put towards a decent base map for it). is it as easy as im thinking? will i be aware of the route im following on screen, and will i easily be able to see if i deviate from it and get back on the route? are there any MAJOR shortcomings in either unit?

any tips or advice id greatly appreciate, im loving cranking up my milage at the mo, but id love to be able to venture a bit more further safe in the knowledge my extremely poor map reading skills wont be the only thing to rely on!

Comments

• Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    Hey, I've got a 705 and it's great. I've only done a few routes on bikely and then uploaded them onto the gps and once you know how, it's easy enough. There's a couple of things to be aware of though. The base unit is quite frankly utter cack - you will nead to get a proper map. I got mine with full street level for europe on a micro/mini SD (forget which but it plugs stright in rather than getting it on a dvd then having to transfer it.

The other thing which was a complete arse ache is that if you do go off route too far, it completely recalculates to your end destination. I haven't used mine for a few weeks due to inclement weather and the general softness of the couch vs saddle, but there was an update which I've uploaded but not used which seems to give you the option to not recalculate unless you agree, so make sure you check for latest updates as I doubt the ones for sale now have the most current updates on.

You'll get a lot of people that will tell you not to bother and that maps/road signs are more than enough, but the 705 (don't know about the 605) has a great "Go Home" function. I've used this a couple of times when in the ar$e end of nowhere and decided I'd had enough or that the weather turned rubbish and it literally works out where you are and takes you home (or in my case the pub round the corner which I've told it is home).

Whilst I'm writing what has turned out to be an essay, the Garmin's are brilliant for data logging, but I've read very good things about Satmaps as well which I gather are easier/more intuitive as navigation devices, so whilst the 705 is brilliant, you may find that the Satmap might be a better bet if you're not fussed so much about Heart Rate/cadence etc.

Hope this helps.
  • excellent thats just the sort of thing i was after. my housemate metnioned the satmaps the other n ight, i think im looking for a unit that primarily i can make a mega simple google map style route and get it on the unit and follow it, however the get me home feature does seem wicked...

hmmmmmm! decisions decisions!
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Horton wrote:
    The other thing which was a complete ars* ache is that if you do go off route too far, it completely recalculates to your end destination.

not anymore, fixed in firmware 2.5! You get options to re-route, not re-route or prompt.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    i would say go for the 705 over the 605, okay if your not interester in HR, or cadence, or having a 3rd party power meter you may not need it...

But what happens down the line , say 6 months, and you do want HR or soemthing... you cant add them on to the 605 and your stuck....

You can always no use a feature.. would cost you more than 40 quid later to get round the problem
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    There is a very comprehensive article on GPS for cycling (specifically for touring) here:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3140&v=Fb

Based on that, I got the Garmin Legend eTrex, very pleased so far.
  • Given that the devices are quite expensive anyway, the 40 quid seems to buy you a lot more features. Will probably hold resale value better. The best prices I've seen seem to be on Handtec. For those of a cheeky persuasion apparently the maps can be found online.

http://www.handtec.co.uk/section.php/10 ... e389668ad3
  • cheers i think your right guys, seems silly to forsake the 705 with heart rate for the sake of £40.

i think im going to plump for the 705 with xmas cash.... the satmaps seems a bit minty, and i did see the 705 in the flesh yesterday and its a lovely wee thing!
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    you will need to get the maps extra (unless you buy a pack with them, would advise though getting them on a DVD so you can use them on the PC to plan routes etc, as the SD card version is difficult to get going on the PC as its not interented for that)

If you have access to some Metroguide Garmin maps (not locked to the device), I can point you to a patch that enables these to be used with routing on the 705 (without it, they are just glorified images and won't plot routes on the device)
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • johans
    johans Posts: 24
    You may want to consider the Garmin Colorado - whilst not specifically for biking it has all the essentials and a big plus is that it uses standard batteries
  • I'd go for the 705...it's an awesome piece of kit
    pain is temporary..... but it does hurt!
  • I've got a 705 which is great. Regarding mapping, having the mapping on SD card isn't then end of the world, as I plan all my routes on either BikeRouteToaster, or BikeHike - and the latter shows OS mapping so you can get a feel for the terrain from that.
  • I've just bought a 705 and it's fan-bleeding-tastic. I was lucky enough to bag mine on eBay for £220 new with the HR strap and cadence sensor. I haven't had the chance to give it a proper test on a long ride yet due to the weather but after a quick spin round my usual ride it seems to sort all of my data needs in one tidy unit. It just takes all the mental effort out of training on the road - you program in your route and your training targets and it will do all the mental gymnastics for you. So much data! I want a power meter now, there's something oddly compelling about poring over the graphs in Garmin Training Centre over your post-ride linguine.

I should point out that the base map is absolutely hopeless, it's only A-roads and motorways - the proper metroguide maps are as good as I've seen on any GPS device. I can't comment on the topo maps but to be honest I can't see why a roadie would bother with them.

I'm definitely going to bodge together a voltage regulator to charge the thing off my hub dynamo for when I'm touring - the POI database would prove invaluable on one of my typically underplanned and underequipped tours.
  • ob
    ob Posts: 36
    I decided last week to buy the 705. Waited until yesterday to order it, and the Wiggle price had gone from 20% discount to 10%. How I cried. Still, I bought it. In orange. Orange is the best colour ever.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    If you are buying a 705 for road use make sure you get the City Navigator maps (if buying a bundle) rather than the Topo maps. Whilst you can route OK with the Topo maps I find it near impossible actually trying to work out where I am and navigate somewhere if I don't have the route pre-programmed. Apparently the City Navigator maps are much clearer for road use.
  • wilwil
    wilwil Posts: 374
    I know even less than Gem about these but I'm also interested in knowing where I'm going

Aren't the maps that slot in on the SD card that come with the 705 unit any good? I need small country lanes.

Do they work with MACS?

Can I ditch my current computer which has speed gradient, heart rate etc?

Are they cableless?

Are they heavy?
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    wilwil, if you get the package that includes a micro sd card with europe street level mapping, that's fine. It's the base map that is already on the unit that is rubbish. As for the remaining questions:
    No idea,
    Yes
    Yes
    No
  • Wilwil -

The pre-loaded maps are useless, only a-roads and motorways. You really need the MetroGuide maps, which you can buy or, ahem, 'find' online.

They work with macs no problem - there's a mac version of the Training Center software on the Garmin website.

You can chuck your existing bike computer. If you want cadence or speed measured from the wheel then you'll need the additional wireless module, but it comes with an HRM strap, can measure speed via GPS and has a proper barometric altimeter.

They're completely wireless, apart from the USB cable to hook it up to your computer for downloading data.

The unit is approx. 105g (3oz) plus a few grams for the mount.
  • eridani wrote:
    They work with macs no problem - there's a mac version of the Training Center software on the Garmin website.

It's crap though - not as much functionality as the Windows version. May I suggest Ascent as an alternative?

RBIT
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    What is the bike mount like? A slide in affair? With a something this expensive I want to take it off the bike easy and quickly.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • redvee wrote:
    What is the bike mount like? A slide in affair? With a something this expensive I want to take it off the bike easy and quickly.

The mount cable-ties to either the stem or the bars; the unit slides on & locks in place & is released by pressing a tab down & sliding off.

Spare mounts £11 off Expansys.

RBIT
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Next Q. Who can give me the cash to buy one :lol:? Want one now but gonna have to wait till after xmas and hope they are in the sales somewhere.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.