Tyre choice for 3 week tour

GyatsoLa
GyatsoLa Posts: 667
edited November 2008 in Workshop
I've been left with a bit of a quandary by my local bike shop - I just called in to find out the tyres I wanted (Ultra gators, 25mm) aren't in stock.

Week after next I'm going for 3 weeks touring in Taiwan, I'm converting my Cannondale R600 for light touring - I'll be bringing about 10 kg of kit (less I hope) in two small panniers on the rear. I would expect to to 1500 to 2000 km of riding, mostly on good roads, but also maybe some bike paths which I think can be quite roughly paved. I've not toured on this bike before, the ride is a touch harsh for all day riding, but I thought I'd appreciate the lightness over my heavy duty touring bike. So far as I can work out, 25 mm is the widest tyre I can fit.

So I'm left with a few options:

1. Stick with the Conti 4000's I have on it. (very nice tyre, but maybe too light for this type of riding?.
2. Switch the Conti 4 seasons I have on my fixie to the Cannondale- these are great tyres, they look in good condition although they've a fair few miles on them.
3. Buy 23mm Ultra gators. A bit too hard maybe for all day riding?
4. Fit Specialized Alll Condition armadillo's.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Ultra Gatorskins have a totally misleading name, you had a lucky escape! I don't trust any conti tyres to be durable now. I have used Specialized All Conditions Pro's for several; years and thousands of miles on all sorts of surfaces and I have not had one single "failure".
  • GyatsoLa
    alfablue wrote:
    Ultra Gatorskins have a totally misleading name, you had a lucky escape! ".

You mean they don't actually kill and skin alligators to make them?? 8)
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    GyatsoLa wrote:
    alfablue wrote:
    Ultra Gatorskins have a totally misleading name, you had a lucky escape! ".

You mean they don't actually kill and skin alligators to make them?? 8)
    Indeed, I think they would be more correctly named Ultra Earthwormskins!
  • I'd use the conti 4 season. Mine have done about 5 years of winter riding and just been changed.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    What about fitting Michelin Krylion carbon 25c They will easily last 2000Km and can handle any road surface you may tour over. Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • GyatsoLa
    Thanks Ade - my problem is that due to lack of time I'm limited to what is in stock in my local shop - they told me on the phone that the only suitable tyre they have is the Specialized. I might play it safe and go for them.
  • Wiggle have 4 seasons and ultra gatorskins in 23 and 25 mm in stock and, in my experience, often deliver next day even with the free delivery option. There are cheaper places to get these tyres (eg Probikekit) but they have sold out.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    I had an e mail from www.allterraincycles.co.uk last week. They had the Krylion carbons in stock. the shop is in West Yorkshire i believe, is this near you? Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • GyatsoLa
    Ade, I'm in Dublin. I've actually been waiting more than a week for an order I made from Wiggle (although usually they are quicker than that).

I'll have a chat with my bike shop tomorrow, and if they don't have anything suitable I'll order something online - if it doesn't come, then I'll swap the 4 Seasons off my fixie I think.