Accident

djvagabon1
djvagabon1 Posts: 49
edited December 2008 in MTB general
I was out on my bike today when i got knocked off it. I was going round a roundabout when a woman in a mini cooper drove straight into me. She was texting someone on the phone. Ive cracked my hip where i landed. I ripped a brand new 09 SLR Carbon saddle, broke 1 of my Carbon Bar ends and put a lovely scratch on my new Fox Forks. She didnt even stop which made it worse. I only got the first part of the registration so i cant do anything about it.
When i drive i pay extra care to look out for motorbikes and cyclists. Obviously not everyone takes the same care.
Because she didnt stop, is that classed as a hit and run?

Comments

• chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Hit and run yes and dangerous driving.

This kind of thing is becoming a real bugbear of mine, just about got taken out on Tuesday myself by a woman driver who only bothered to look for the traffic in the roundabout when she was already well into it, by more than a car length. Naturally enough her mobile phone conversation had prime importance!

My email to the Garda that followed an hour later was along the lines of 'are you going to do something about this or am I going to have to start to'.

The fantasy is to chase after the buggers and (as a public safety measure) confiscate their phone and pass it to the police, they can then go and ask for it back and explain why it was taken off them in the first place!
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • Yes, although she would likely claim she was unaware she'd hit anyone.
    I hope you have reported it,
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • Cps
    Cps Posts: 356
    Report it to the police

even with part of the number plate - the car type - and colour i am sure they should be able to track her down, if they can be arsed that is

Then add to it using the phone whilst driving, leaving the scene of the accident she should be bang to rights !!!

Don't give up on it and keep us posted.
  • Report it to the police, there might be cctv by the roundabout or near to it which could pick up her number plate. I really hate seeing people on mobiles when driving :twisted:
  • Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267
    There will definitely be some CCTV footage somewhere of the car which you could then identify. Keep at it and take her down!
  • The police will F-All, but at least you can claim compo! at least a couple of grand there mate - rock en roll!
    There is nothing more unequal, than the equal treatment of unequals!
  • Tell the police mate.
    And if its a commute goto where it happend on three diffrent days (avoid going on there day off) and wait for a mini cooper going past. You never know it might be the same one!
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    I work in car claims and whould love to do one of our policyholders for hitting a cyclist and them get arrested.

You got the first part of the reg, most police can look on a data base to see what cars are registered under that first part and if you have the colour and make of the car then bobs your uncle.

Stop spending time asking what you should do, as a person on the road you should know that she has hit and run and phone the police.

I would love if she was insured with us, I would throw the book at her and not pay out on her claim and then make her pay for your injuries and your bike and send her the bill and trust me she would pay, and we make her life crap and her family's life crap as well.

I know some of you guys think people in insurance are only out for the money but we love proving our customers are wrong and not paying out, thats how we make money.

If you know any further info and dont want to get the police involved I can help, But need the reg.

Didnt anyone stop to help?

Dont listen to tonyeynon, the police dont do F-all because people either dont report it, or they just dont have enough info, they phone us all the time grassing our policyholders up, so trust me I know first hand they do do stuff.... :lol: i said do do
  • and make sure the biatch buys you some more carbon goodies and more :P
    Go big or go home!!

dmr exalt
    fitbike team park bmx
    both my custom jobbys :D:D
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2915789/
  • Hope you heal soon dude, please make sure you report it to the police, people like that (Driver) need to learn there are consequences to their stupid, inconsiderate actions.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    The police will take it seriously. My wife managed to scrpae our car on the corner of a stationary bus (she though she'd only clipped the wing mirror) and didn't stop as she didn't think there was any damage and it was too busy to stop safely. The bus company reported it and she got a notice of intended prosecution through for failing to stop etc. It all got dropped as soon as the police realised the circumstances and the fact that my wife had already notified our insurer. I imagine the police will somewhat less easy going on your lady driver.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    What kinda callous cow does that?

Nail her to the wall mate.....or try to.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Take her to the cleaners. Morons like that don't deserve to be on the road. Hopefully you're able to get her done for dangerous driving, negligence and pay for the bits and bobs that she damaged. Deserves everything she's got coming to her.
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    buzz1 wrote:
    Whore

+1 lol
  • Any uodate?

Have to add i reckon she's a whore too.
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    Contact the police and take her to the cleaners.

Bloody mini drivers, normally self obsessed twunts at the best of times! :evil:
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey