Saddle Help Please

mf-racing
mf-racing Posts: 149
edited November 2008 in MTB buying advice
I’m looking for a new saddle but really don’t know where to start!

I bought a Selle Italia SLR XC Gel Flow (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Selle ... 360036405/) about 6 months ago (manly because of the Kevlar sides and very low weight (trying to lose some weight off my EX9) but I’ve finally had enough of it! Its terrible my bum hurts after an hours riding and then does not stop hurting for a day after! (this is using good padded shorts etc)

So, I need a new saddle and don’t know where to start, the main factor is that I want it to be comfy for a about 3 hour rides, but also light weight and good protection from rips and scuff etc. I’m not fussed about how much its cost as long as it works and does turn me it to a baboon! :evil:

So what do you guy’s think, I’d done a search and SDG, Fitzi, and Charge come up a lot?

Cheers! :D
2009 Trek Remedy 9
Megavalance 2010 - Done!
Megavalance 2011 - In-training!
www.mf-racing.co.uk

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Impossible to say what will work for you.

For me - Fizik Arione is the best one.
    Close second - Charge Spoon.

Then again the WTB cheapie that came on my MTB is pretty darn good to.

I guess my bum is adaptable ? :?:
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    edited November 2008
    I've got a charge spoon on one bike and will buying one for the other when the current saddle wears out (edges are tearing off)
    ridden on it in a bit and i find it super comfy. love it. price isn't too bad either. worth a try.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hard to say as we all have different ar$es! Though some seem to fair universally better than others, the Gobi and SDG satellite being two of them (I have both, prefer the latter).
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    After being used to a carbon Selle Italia XLR I was impressed by my first ride with a Charge Spoon. Then again I would've been impressed with a row of razor blades wrapped in barbed wire :wink:

The logos rub off after 30 minutes but the Spoon is fit-and-forget comfortable, even after several hours in the saddle. Winstanleys have them for £20 Charge Spoon cro-mo. Looks good in grey with white rails.
  • I'm with Cougie. Fizik Arione is the one for my posterior, and I've tried lots and lots of saddles in the past.

The guys I ride with mostly have Fizik Saddles and the Gobi also comes highly recommended.
  • WTB Rocket V fits my bum very nicely. Almost as nicely as the vacuum cleaner pipe.....oh no I've gone and said too much again.
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    SDG do some comfy ones.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Another vote for the Charge Spoon. If you're really bothered about weight, they do a Ti railed one for £45. Or for £25 less, have the 40 gram heavier Cromo railed one. Verymuch a fit and forget item - for me anyway. Never had saddle ache since I got it.

......as for the boardman razor blade on my road bike, that's a different story!
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    WTB Rocket or Fizik Gobi fit my arse nicely
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Nice one, thanks guys. Just ordered a Charge Spoon Ti from Wiggle. Lets hope it fits!
    2009 Trek Remedy 9
    Megavalance 2010 - Done!
    Megavalance 2011 - In-training!
    www.mf-racing.co.uk