Yes, it's the old full susser for a grand again.

Daz555
Daz555 Posts: 3,976
edited January 2009 in MTB buying advice
I'm about to sign up for my company C2W scheme and have decided to take the max I'm allowed which is £1000. I am definitely interested in full suss only after spending some time on a mates Prophet (with the leftie fork) and deciding that full suss is the way for me.

My C2W is via Halfords/Bikehut but they are as we all know able to get a huge range of bikes in (not Cannondale it seems however.)

I was pretty set on the Trek Fuel Ex 5.5 http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/mo ... x/fuelex55 but have since seen a couple of other options creep into view.

GT ID5 XCR 09 http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... _langId_-1

Boardman Team FS 09 Comp
http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtbfs/fs_comp.html

There is so much stuff in the £1000 full suss market from just about every bike maker that I am frankly bewildered with choice! Advice sought and very much appreciated. Open to other suggestions as well of course. Downhill performance is important to me (as is comfort) but I don't want a bike that'll murder me in the climbs either.

I really like the handy hardtail sticky. It would be nice to have a similar full sus sticky.
You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.

Comments

• I''d go for the boardman or the trek
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    Bloody hell that boardman is fantastic value - if it rides well get it!
  • Daz555
    Yeah, I'm definitely going to have a go on the Boardman as soon as I see one in stock.
  • riggsy81
    riggsy81 Posts: 281
    Id say the boardman IMO :D
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    FWIW, given typical UK weather I wouldn't choose anything that has all the rear end moving bits including the shock low down and in the path of every piece of mud and such thrown up by the front end.
    That aside, the Boardman looks pretty nice!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Daz555
    meagain wrote:
    FWIW, given typical UK weather I wouldn't choose anything that has all the rear end moving bits including the shock low down and in the path of every piece of mud and such thrown up by the front end.
    That aside, the Boardman looks pretty nice!
    Fair point, but al least they are inside the front triangle and get some protection from the frame.
  • i would go for the trek
  • Daz555
    One thing I'm very curious about is the relative quality of the forks.

The Boardman has Reba SL 120mm whilst the Trek has Tora 302 120mm. How much better is the Reba and is it enough to turn me away from the Trek?
  • Reba has better dampening and is a lot better, you'd be able to tell the two apart easily, however it doesn't matter if the back end rides like a pig...
  • Daz555
    Weird, just noticed that Halfords have taken the new Boardman FS bikes off the site.
  • I'm in the same boat. I've got the option to go over the £1k and pay the difference. At the moment I'm considering

Trek Fuel 5.5.
    Cannondale Prophet 2
    Specialized FSR XC Comp http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... gn=froogle
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    A 2008 Trance 2 is only £998 from pedal on a trance 3 is even cheaper.

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant_trance_2_.html

(Ive got One)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    what kind of riding are you planning to do on the bike?

the prophet is a more burly heavy bike designed for all mountain riding so it will climb but it is built for fun going downwards.

t'other 2 are similar styles of bikes. they are both xc/trail machines but personally i prefer the spec on the fsr and prefer the look of it too.

it has been said but i would give it a test ride if you can and see if you like it but im confident you will love the spesh as they are the best bikes ever built and anyone who rides anything else is a fool.
  • what kind of riding are you planning to do on the bike?

the prophet is a more burly heavy bike designed for all mountain riding so it will climb but it is built for fun going downwards.

t'other 2 are similar styles of bikes. they are both xc/trail machines but personally i prefer the spec on the fsr and prefer the look of it too.

it has been said but i would give it a test ride if you can and see if you like it but im confident you will love the spesh as they are the best bikes ever built and anyone who rides anything else is a fool.

I've also got the Spesh Pitch Comp on my radar which is more in-line with the Prophet.

I was set on one of those two but now that I've entered the 10 Under the Ben race next year, 10 hours on an AM rig may be a bit much so the FSR and Fuel are now in there!

Decisions, decisions.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    well, to be honest, these days as long as you buy from one of the big manufacturers, you cant go much wrong with a thousand quids worth of full sus bike (although there wil be folk who disagree) (but thay are all wrong) (im never wrong) (im joking) (but seriously)
  • Daz555
    BOYDIE wrote:
    A 2008 Trance 2 is only £998 from pedal on a trance 3 is even cheaper.

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant_trance_2_.html

(Ive got One)
    Yeah I like the Trances but I'm limited to Halfords (C2W) so web specials from other sites are not an option for me. I've not checked yet whether or not Halfords supply Giants on the C2W scheme.
  • Yeah I like the Trances but I'm limited to Halfords (C2W) so web specials from other sites are not an option for me. I've not checked yet whether or not Halfords supply Giants on the C2W scheme.

Daz555

I'm getting a bike thro' Halfords also on the C2W scheme. From the information we got, this is what was quoted:-
    "Furthermore if you still cannot find what you are looking for in store and have identified a specific type of bike, please call 08450 778 850 and the Halfords Special Order team will do their best to source most current bikes in the UK market, direct from their preferred suppliers (subject to availability)."

So you should be able to get pretty much what your after, and, they will have a look to see if their preferred suppliers have any deals on (such as last years bikes).

BTW, I was thinking of the Spesh FSR XC Comp or the Trek 5.5 as well. On another thread, someone recommended to me Focus SuperBud, Giant Anthem or Trance, and also an Iron Horse !

Interested to see if anyone recommends something else to you on here.

Can't see that Boardman though ! Not even on his website. Wonder why ?
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
  • Daz555

Just had a look on Cube's website (another one that was recommended to me).
    This bike looks good value for £949. :D
    Click on this link http://www.cubecycles.co.uk/index.asp?pageid=59884 and then click on the XMS from the list.
    Has a Recon front fork, and a Suntour rear unit (admittedly, I don't know much about these) but it can be locked out.

The pics look impressive if nothing else. :D

What do others think :?: :?:
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
  • Daz555
    After looking at the full suss sticky, the FSRxc 09 is now definitely on my short list along with the Fuel. FSRxc Looks very sweet indeed.

Rear shock is a bit of a mystery though - any thoughts on the X Fusion 02RLA shock?
  • Daz555
    Daz555 wrote:
    One thing I'm very curious about is the relative quality of the forks.

The Boardman has Reba SL 120mm whilst the Trek has Tora 302 120mm. How much better is the Reba and is it enough to turn me away from the Trek?
    Update on this spec. Looks like the Reba was listed incorrectly on Halfords. The Boardman FS Comp has Recon 335.
  • Daz555 wrote:
    After looking at the full suss sticky, the FSRxc 09 is now definitely on my short list along with the Fuel. FSRxc Looks very sweet indeed.

Rear shock is a bit of a mystery though - any thoughts on the X Fusion 02RLA shock?

http://www.x-fusion-shox.com/
  • Daz555
    BoardinBob wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:

Cheers. I had a look there earlier but the RLA is not listed. Closest is the RLi, but no idea how similar they are.
  • Daz555 wrote:
    BoardinBob wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:

Cheers. I had a look there earlier but the RLA is not listed. Closest is the RLi, but no idea how similar they are.

Yeah according to the spec the RLA is a Specialized exclusive. Supersonic mentioned on another thread that they're decent shocks and the company was setup by a former Fox employee.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Indeed, they're a bit like standard, up-to-date, Fox Float R. Mine was fine, no leaking, easy to set up, the rebound adjuster was a bit buggered and it kept adjusting itself which was mildy annoying though. It was nigh on impossible to get it to sit in the position I wanted it, I'm sure this were fixable though. The triad on the higher up units has pro-pedal platform damping, which it would have really benefit from as it was quite bouncy climbing. To be honest the triad units are pretty much RP3 and RP32s, really nice.

The biggest downer used to be the custom shock lengths. If 6 months down the line you're bored of bouncing up and down and decide to swap to a new shock you have 2 options, go through Specialized and pay top dollar or get TF Tuned to change the length of another shock. Both options will leave you with your old useless, custom length shock kicking around and far more out of pocket.

Edit: Oh I stand corrected, after years of whining they've apparently gone to a standard 190mm shock for the '09 FSR XC ( instead of 180mm for '07-'08 ). Yay, ignore the above paragraph!
  • Daz555
    Toasty wrote:
    Edit: Oh I stand corrected, after years of whining they've apparently gone to a standard 190mm shock for the '09 FSR XC ( instead of 180mm for '07-'08 ). Yay, ignore the above paragraph!
    Ahh, this is very important I reckon.

I've just checked the Specialized site and it states the FSRxc 09 bikes have 7.5 x 1.75" rear shock. Am I right to assume the 7.5" is the shock length - which in new money is 190mm?

If that's the case then it's a definite plus for the new FSRxc.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Yup. Decent sized shock for 5" travel too, I'm glad they've scaled it up and not gone down to 165mm. I moaned lots on the mtbr forums, as did lots of people, glad to hear they've listened after 2 years. 180mm had NO benefits over 190mm. I'd have probably kept my old FSR XC if I could have stuck a decent platform shock on without having to go through Specialized.

Quick off topic tip, google can do all these conversions for you. Type "7.5 inches in mm" into the search box and it'll figure it out, it works between all currencies and metric/imperial units, quite handy!

Edit: Oh and yeah, the 7.5" is the eye to eye length of the shock, 1.75" is the stroke length, this refers to the amount the shock can actually move. So on a bike with a 1.75" stroke and 5" of travel you have a ratio of 1:2.8 which is fairly respectable. Some older bikes have ratios as high as 1:4, by which point the damping is verging on useless and you need tons of pressure in the air can.
  • Daz555
    I have a further question about the shocks on the FSR bikes.

It seems they have gone standard with a 190mm (7.5") eye-to-eye shock length but from what I can see the shock travel (1.75") is not common. Looking at RockShox and Fox sites shows that their shocks all come in 7.5x2.0".

So still not standard after all? Or is it so easy to alter the travel of a 2.0" shock to 1.75" that it does not matter? I suspect that one problem of running a 2.0" travel shock on a frame designed for 1.75" is that you might get bits of the frame hitting other bits.
  • Daz555
    Well finally made my mind and ordered the FSRxc Comp.

Can't wait to get my new toy and have a blast round 50 Acre Wood at Ashton Court.

:D