Campagnolo 10 & 11 speed compatibility

Ian.B
Ian.B Posts: 732
edited April 2010 in Workshop
Hi,

I have a Chorus triple chainset (2006) and long cage rear derailleur. I'm going to buy some new Ergopowers and was planning to get the 2009 Centaur ones. However, I am wondering, if I buy the 2009 Chorus 11 speed Ergopowers and an 11 speed cassette and chain, whether this will work with my existing chainset and derailleurs. Or to go for 11 speed do I have to buy the complete 11 speed groupset?

I'd be grateful for any advice!

Ian

Comments

• aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    You'll also need a new rear mech, though the chainset (and front mech) should work. Not sure they do a long cage 11-speed mech though.
  • Yes - the cable pull is different and you'd need an 11 speed rear mech.

To upgrade a pre-2009 Campagnolo setup to 11 speed you need: Ultrashift Ergos (Chorus or above), RD (Chorus or above), 11 speed sprockets, Ultrashift shift cables (the shift cable outer is narrower that the 2008 and earlier which don't fit in the lever without modification) 11 speed chain.

2008 and earlier brakes, chainset and FD should work fine. In fact 11 speed chain works fine with most 10 speed chainsets.

Oh, and someone with the 11 speed chain tool! I definitely wouldn't skimp this last one...
  • Ian.B
    Thanks to you both - it looks like I'll be sticking with 10 speed (and saving about £70 by getting Centaur rather than Chorus Ergos!)

Ian
  • ClintC
    ClintC Posts: 48
    I am sure I read somewhere that the new Campag Centaur Ergo levers 2009 aren't compatabile with the 2008 Chorus UD front derailleur, which sort of put a spanner in the works for me as I was wanting to add the new Centaur 10spd levers to my Chorus 2008 setup. Anyone else heard similar???
    Ride it like you stole it
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    ClintC wrote:
    I am sure I read somewhere that the new Campag Centaur Ergo levers 2009 aren't compatabile with the 2008 Chorus UD front derailleur, which sort of put a spanner in the works for me as I was wanting to add the new Centaur 10spd levers to my Chorus 2008 setup. Anyone else heard similar???

The 2008 Chorus FD would work fine with the 2009 Centaur shifters........
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Ian.B
    ClintC,

It may be because the 2008 has the Quick Shift (QS) mechanism but the 2009 doesn't (as far as I can make out). As I understand it, you can mix QS and non-QS ergos and FD and they will work fine, but I think I saw somewhere that it might require a double shift on the lever.

I'm going to be using a 2006 Chorus FD (which isn't QS) with the 2009 Centaur Ultrashift Ergos (which I believe aren't QS either, so fingers crossed all will be well)

Ian.B
  • Ian.B
    Further to last post - Campag's instruction sheet for the new Ergos says "Compatibility with front derailleurs: Use the UltraShift derailleurs with the new Ergopower UltraShift controls. The actuating shift is greater when used with QS front derailleurs." I knew I'd seen that somewhere.
  • It says they aren't compatible in the Campagnolo instructions but I've had no issue with 09 Centaur levers and 08 Record FD in the last few months.

If it's not 'optimal shifting' it's not degraded to the extent that I've noticed. I'm still in the 53 for a few weeks anyway :P
  • ClintC
    ClintC Posts: 48
    Guys, thanks for the clarification.

Looks like I will have to give it a go and see if it works out. Suppose, the worst case would probably be that all I need to upgrade would be my FD to the 2009 Centaur one.
    Ride it like you stole it
  • aracer
    To upgrade a pre-2009 Campagnolo setup to 11 speed you need: ...Ultrashift shift cables (the shift cable outer is narrower that the 2008 and earlier which don't fit in the lever without modification)
    That would obviously depend on whether you were currently using Campag shift cables! Don't the Ergos come with cables anyway - my 10-speed ones did?
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Talking to Jeff (resident Campag expert) at Mercian the other day, and pretty sure he told me that 2009 10sp Ergos will not work with any 2008 and earlier 10sp rear mech.

He also said that 2009 Centaur Ergo internals are cheap and nasty. So try and find some old stock 2008 stuff. :)
  • And I suppose he's the one selling all the 2008 stock, right? icon_neutral2.gif

Yes, 2009 10sp Ergos will work with any 2008 and earlier 10sp rear mech.
    Why wouldn't it?
  • aracer
    It would seem he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about at all - 2009 Centaur internals are identical to 2009 Chorus apart from the 10-speed ratchet parts. The Campag tech documentation also suggests they're identical to 2009 Record, though I've seen reports that that info may not be totally reliable.
  • proto
    aracer wrote:
    It would seem he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about at all - 2009 Centaur internals are identical to 2009 Chorus apart from the 10-speed ratchet parts. The Campag tech documentation also suggests they're identical to 2009 Record, though I've seen reports that that info may not be totally reliable.

Hmmm, checked the 2009 parts lists and agree that you're right, part numbers look the same Centaur v Chorus. Sure he told me though that plenty of parts in Centaur were now cheaper versions, lower quality as Centaur had been moved down market for 2009.
  • proto
    And I suppose he's the one selling all the 2008 stock, right?

Not at all. His stock was never discussed. I was buying parts to convert some 9sp Chorus levers to 10sp. I'd told him I had already bought my 2009 stuff (ergos/f.mech/r.mech) from Ribble.

Yes, 2009 10sp Ergos will work with any 2008 and earlier 10sp rear mech. Why wouldn't it?

I don't know, but perhaps in the same way that pre 2000 9sp ergos won't work with 2001 and later 9sp rear mechs. :?
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    proto wrote:
    Talking to Jeff (resident Campag expert) at Mercian the other day, and pretty sure he told me that 2009 10sp Ergos will not work with any 2008 and earlier 10sp rear mech.

He also said that 2009 Centaur Ergo internals are cheap and nasty. So try and find some old stock 2008 stuff. :)

I have just spoken to someone at Mercian who said exactly the opposite. 09 Centaur levers are better quality than 08 and contain all metal parts unlike 08. He also said there was no problem using 09 levers with 08 DRs.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • I just bought campy 11s record shifter, chorus cassette chain and it is working fine with my 10s record front or rear derailleur it is perfect
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    I just bought campy 11s record shifter, chorus cassette chain and it is working fine with my 10s record front or rear derailleur it is perfect

Oooh! Hello sailor!! :)

LOL. I just got an SR11 cassette & ergo levers to chat very nicely with a 10 Record front & rear mech via an 11 chain (joined with a powerlink) and turned by a Fulcrum RRS c/set. Been working very nicely for the past month but I'm still swapping the mechs for 11SR this week (can't have it not matching :))

And PLEASE can we agree to call it Campag rather than campy (not that I'm homophobic or anything) :)