Anyone else do the 94.7km Cycle Challenge on Sunday?

Bonus
Bonus Posts: 316
edited November 2008 in Pro race
It was an amazing day, top temp 38C, total ascent 3500 ft. I think I came in about 24000 th

:-)

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Bonus wrote:
    top temp 38C
    In West Sussex? :shock:

:wink:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Friend of mine out there basically had to stay in his house all day coz of it. He wasn't complaining mind you.

Is it a hilly course? I know some of the area's pretty well.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    I did it a few years ago - great day out. 25000 people taking to the roads!

There are a couple of hills but nothing major - I seem to remember one up to a water tower that was quite tough and got a few Joe Public types walking. It's hard enough to be a challenge but not so hard that yer average punter can't make it round.
  • Jokull
    Jokull Posts: 248
    I did it in 2004. It was a great day out, and I rode ok - 2hrs 52 min. I'd love to have the chance to go back and do it (and the Argus Cycle Tour) again.

Apparently the route this year was different - what was it like compared to the old one?
  • Bonus
    Bonus Posts: 316
    This is the first time I've ridden it so I can't compare it to previous years, but apparently the route does change a bit every year - usually due to road works etc.

This year it started at MegaWatt Park (ESCOM), NE of Jo'burg and headed south on the M1, did a longer than previously loop through Jo'burg City Center, then up Jan Smuts Ave on the west side of Jo'burg past Jo'burg Zoo, through Randburg, and then out past Ruby's nightclub towards the Lion Park and Kyalami - finishing almost back where it started.

There are no major hills. I guess it's what we serious cyclists would call an "undulating route", but joe public (or Kobus van Public as the case may be) would call "a pretty tough course". I didn't have to get off anywhere, but lots of people did everytime the road pointed upwards. Of course lots of people were occasional cyclists doing it for sponsorship - and I respect their effort enourmously.

The race was very well organised. Fully closed roads with lots of police at every intersection. Loads of long water points with dosens of helpers at each one handing out cups of water or energy drink, or re-filling your bottles if you wanted. There were also mechanics ready to make repairs or adjustments at these points, and sponsors giving out chocolate etc.

My time was 3:50:29. I started steady and kept it that way, I honestly wasn't sure when I started that I would finish - given the alltitude, heat and length of the ride. I look forward to knocking a chunk of time off that next year :-)

The winning time was Malcolm Lange at 2:03

You can find more ride details here:

http://www.cyclechallenge.co.za/

and maps here:

http://www.cyclechallenge.co.za/road_closure_alternative_routes.asp

Cheers.