What computer / GPS / device for Mac user?

Rich-Ti
Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
edited November 2008 in Workshop
I have a Garmin Edge 305 which I originally bought for MTB use just to track where I'd been on guided rides and keep a log of new routes etc. The additional bit of seeing how far and fast I'd been was purely novelty, and to be honest as a Mac user it's always been a real pain in the ass getting it booted into Windows so that I could use Memory Map etc.

I now use it a lot more for cadence work and take more notice of my heart rate on the road bike, but there's still that annoyance in using it which is now accompanied by the fact that I now don't seem to be able to load routes into it properly. So I'm thinking of a change but really don't know what to change to :?

Additionally, being fairly new to my area I'd like to use it more for loading routes now so that when I am riding on my own in unknown areas I don't get lost (which adds to the frustration of struggling to load routes)! :oops: :lol:

Is there anything on the market which will allow me to easily download routes from Bikely / Bike Route Toaster and upload into onto it without having to boot into Windows (or use Parallels), yet will still allow me to record my cadence and HR, AND is Mac-friendly?? :shock:

I'm also not adverse to upgrading to the 605 / 705 if the switch is worthwhile so advice on how worthwhile this is would be appreciated too.

Thanks!

Comments

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    I use an Edge 305 with HR and Cadence

Instead of Training Centre I use Ascent (http://www.montebellosoftware.com/) which is much better for logging routes, allows export in multiple formats and designed specifically for mac. However that doesn't solve your problem of uploading routes.

For creating and loading courses I use Bike Route Toaster to download straight to the 305. I have to admit that I've still not managed to work out how to download a route from a gpx file on a mac :oops: . However at work we have a mapping/routing/GIS programme for Switzerland (www.twixroute.ch) and that sends routes but creates so many waypoints that the memory is soon filled up so I stick with courses.

Is there any reason why you want to load a route and not a course?
  • Rich-Ti
    schweiz wrote:
    Is there any reason why you want to load a route and not a course?
    I only found out today that there's a difference! :oops: :lol:

I have tried to use BikeRouteToaster and the direct transfer but even that hasn't been working. I wonder whether I need to do a reset, or delete all previous waypoints - that seems to be the solution recommended by most from the advice I've read today.

I'll try that this evening - if that resolves the issue it'll save me a few quid! Although I was looking forward to getting a new toy...!! :roll: :lol:
  • verloren
    verloren Posts: 337
    I'll second the use of ascent as the recording tool. I too download direct from brt, but it is a little flaky at times.

'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
    '10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
    '08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.
  • schweiz
    Deleting waypoints is a good idea. I hadn't realised that Twixroute had been creating so many waypoints and whilst experimenting with loading routes I all but filled the memory of the 305.

Then I spent the best part of a day trying to work out why I could only load short or partial courses. IIRC, I deleted the routes, but that didn't delete the waypoints. Once that was done loading courses has never been a problem apart from the odd BRT hiccup.
  • Rich-Ti
    Well, all waypoints deleted - still nothing!

Now courses say they're uploaded from BRT, but in reality they're not. Then saving as .tcx files to load into Garmin Training Centre won't allow me to upload them properly.

Now I'm getting bloody sick of it! :evil:

I have one more plan, then it's going in the bin! :roll:
  • schweiz
    you're not looking in routes for courses are you? Courses are under training, not navigation.

Just a thought?
  • Rich-Ti
    schweiz wrote:
    you're not looking in routes for courses are you? Courses are under training, not navigation.

Just a thought?
    I did only find that out today, but still no routes in 'Routes' or courses in 'Courses'! :evil:
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Apologies in advance for turning this into a computer thread..: I know you've warned us off it, but I'd still recommend running windows under emulation, if there's no obvious mac equivalent of the program you need. I have a slimmed version of XP running more or less constantly under VMWare Fusion, in its own space; the memory overhead is minimal enough that I rarely think to quit the program, even on a not-current iMac under heavy Photoshop use. It gets ignored until I need it, when it's there as immediately as any ordinary app.
  • Rich-Ti
    Still can't get the routes uploaded in Windows though so it's not the Mac environment that's the problem!
  • balthazar
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    Still can't get the routes uploaded in Windows though so it's not the Mac environment that's the problem!

Ah. Sorry, I wasn't really listening to that side of the discussion. Good luck..
  • MarkMcp
    MarkMcp Posts: 426
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but as a Mac user I found it to be of particular interest. I have a Garmin 305 which I've always been frustrated in using as I have been unable to upload my rides, so I can see them on a map etc. I'm not interested in using the 305 as a navigational tool, but would like to see my rides logged. This Ascent programme looks very interesting. I have downloaded the free software, but I still can't transfer rides onto it. Do I need to pay for the full service ?

Thanks
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    i gave up trying to use my 205/605 on my Mac. Could never get the blasted thing to upload or download.

I just use my PC for that now.
  • Rich-Ti
    NWLondoner wrote:
    i gave up trying to use my 205/605 on my Mac. Could never get the blasted thing to upload or download.
    Which brings me back to my other option of possible alternatives?
  • I currently have a garmin 705 and use sporttracks ( http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/ ) running in a VM (parallels in my case) with XP.

All's good - it does exactly as you'd expect, but its the only reason i run up the VM these days, so I'm thinking of giving TrackRunner a go ( http://www.laniesoftware.com/ ). Thing is, you need leopard while im still on tiger. I have to convince myself that its worth the £85 upgrade. Which, clearly, its not :)

Anyway. The easy options are run up XP in a VM and use sporttracks, or go to leopard and try out trackrunner.

jon
  • Rich-Ti
    Thanks jon - I'm on Leopard on both my Macs so maybe trackrunner is the answer 8)
  • ah - cool

give it a go and please let us know how you get on.

if it works as well as sporttracks, then I'll fork out the cash for the upgrade :)

jon
  • balthazar
    Thing is, you need leopard while im still on tiger. I have to convince myself that its worth the £85 upgrade. Which, clearly, its not :)
    jon

Snow Leopard coming up, so I'd wait a bit, just in case you changed your mind..

http://www.macuser.com/software/snow_le ... n_q1_2.php