chain slip?

mattacjones
mattacjones Posts: 13
edited November 2008 in Workshop
Hi - my rear cassette has done about 600 miles and I fitted a new chain when the original showed first signs of stretching (using the link to link measurements, it had got to 12 and 1/16th inches rather than 12). It was fine for about 60-70 miles but now, when pedalling under pressure, the chain lifts off the cassette momentarily in 7th and 8th gears - bikes a specialized hardrock.
I'm pretty sure the cassette's in good shape, but not sure what i can adjust. When I turn the bike upside down and turn pedals by hand, I can't replicate it.

Any advice ?

Many thanks

Comments

• Soni
    Soni Posts: 1,217
    Hi - my rear cassette has done about 600 miles and I fitted a new chain when the original showed first signs of stretching (using the link to link measurements, it had got to 12 and 1/16th inches rather than 12). It was fine for about 60-70 miles but now, when pedalling under pressure, the chain lifts off the cassette momentarily in 7th and 8th gears - bikes a specialized hardrock.
    I'm pretty sure the cassette's in good shape, but not sure what i can adjust. When I turn the bike upside down and turn pedals by hand, I can't replicate it.

Any advice ?

Many thanks

I'd take it to a decent bike shop and have them check it over, i'm speaking from experience when i say chain slip can be DANGEROUS!

I remember years ago the times i came off a bike when i was a teenager due to chain slip whilst standing up out of the saddle.....

A decent bike shop will be able to replicate the problem and diagnose the fault, and it might not cost as much as you think.....
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    I took the cassette off and cleaned each and every cog individually. That sorted my problem - silky smooth shifting once again - joy to ride today :lol: