Procycling's top 50 riders

SpaceJunk
SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
edited November 2008 in Pro race
Not sure if you've seen the top 50 in PC's Nov mag.

Obviously a list that long will cause much conjecture about who belongs in it and who shouldn't, and in what particular order.

For instance; I was quite surprised that the Schleck's only managed 3 wins between them; two of which were for TTT in the tour of Poland and Frank's national RR win (excluding Andy's recent victory in that end-of-season bash).

But away, thought I might get the ball rolling. Who was your number one rider this year? What was the most memorable win of the season?

I guess I couldn't go past Alberto; I think a lot of people will think the same.

As far as the race of the year, I've got two - as strange as it sounds, I really enjoyed Flanders this year. I guess watching it into the wee small hours on a dodgey internet connection in a foreign language just added to it. (As well as the weather and everything else).

From a sentimental perspective, I also admired Gerran's TdF win. On Australian TV it got really badly overlooked since that was also the stage that Cadel lost yellow, but watching the highlights now, that really was a gutsy performance.

In fact, the more I look back on it, we did have some really great racing - especially the one-day classics.

Your thoughts??

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Didn't Francois Schleck win at Alpay d'Huez (as Matt Rendell would say)?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    DaveyL wrote:

I must admit, I have a bit of a soft spot for Matt - just love his mannerisms and his accent. Funny though, I found A significant other dull, yet really enjoyed his Pantani book.

Back to the question at hand though:

Francois didn't win on Alpay - not this year anyway; that was in 06 when he beat Cunego. None other then Carlos Saaaystreeee (as Matt would say :wink: ) took the win.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I'm a big fan of Emanuelle Sella. Were did he come in the top 50? :wink:
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • DaveyL
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:

I must admit, I have a bit of a soft spot for Matt - just love his mannerisms and his accent. Funny though, I found A significant other dull, yet really enjoyed his Pantani book.

Back to the question at hand though:

Francois didn't win on Alpay - not this year anyway; that was in 06 when he beat Cunego. None other then Carlos Saaaystreeee (as Matt would say :wink: ) took the win.

I thought the OP meant overall wins - must have missed the reference to the current season.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL
    Rendell and Boardman have got most of the weird pronunciations stitched up between them. Levi Life-heimer (Boardman) has to be in second place all-time to Big Sean's grapplings with Leonardo Peep-holey.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Boardman has a really annoying way of saying Zabel. He always says Zuh-bell, which does my head in.

Back on topic... top 50 riders? Why has Procycling turned into Q Magazine all of a sudden?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    If you want to fill some magazine pages, nothing better than a list. 10 most beautiful cars, 50 best bass guitarists, 20 tastiest soup recipes, top 100 films etc. :wink:
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    The top 100 top 50 riders of 2008 lists you must see before you listen to the top 100 songs of last month before you die list... EVER!!!11!
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Not being nationalistic or anything but where the hell was Nicolas Roche?
    And Kristin Armstrong should have been ranked a bit higher. 17 wins including an Olympic title was more than most of the men managed.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • afx237vi wrote:
    Boardman has a really annoying way of saying Zabel. He always says Zuh-bell, which does my head in.

Back on topic... top 50 riders? Why has Procycling turned into Q Magazine all of a sudden?

...and the Giro was always pronounced "gyro". Harking back to the days when the uk-based pro training would start from outside the benefits office.

Best rider of the year: Chris Hoy!

Cheers, Andy
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    And now on Channel 4

afx237vi wrote:
    The top 100 top 50 riders of 2008 lists you must see before you listen to the top 100 songs of last month before you die list... EVER!!!11!

Presented by Jimmy Carr
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    I thought Boonen should have been a lot higher. I mean, 15 wins including Roubaix, as well as being the strongest rider in Flanders should warrent him a higher position than 31st. Not bad for a guy who in his spare time takes cocaine!

Even Allan Davis is higher than him!
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • teagar wrote:
    I thought Boonen should have been a lot higher. I mean, 15 wins including Roubaix, as well as being the strongest rider in Flanders should warrent him a higher position than 31st. Not bad for a guy who in his spare time takes cocaine!

Boonen was a lot higher!
  • teagar
    teagar wrote:

Boonen was a lot higher!

Err? You reading the right magazine?
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    teagar wrote:
    teagar wrote:

Boonen was a lot higher!

I think you might have missed the cocaine reference here...
  • teagar
    johnfinch wrote:
    teagar wrote:
    teagar wrote:

Boonen was a lot higher!

I think you might have missed the cocaine reference here...

:oops: *ahem*....
  • Wot no Cunego?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Wot no Cunego?

Maybe the article went to press before lombardy?
  • SpaceJunk wrote:
    From a sentimental perspective, I also admired Gerran's TdF win. On Australian TV it got really badly overlooked since that was also the stage that Cadel lost yellow, but watching the highlights now, that really was a gutsy performance.

We were heading to L'Alpe in our rented motorhome and listening on Tour radio. With my appalling French I knew that Gerrans was doing something and kept screaming to my misses "WHATS HAPPENING???". For me, a fantastic memory (plus it was part of our first visit to the TdF).

I thought Roubaix was fantastic this year; Boonen, Cancellara, O'Grady, Hoste and Ballan all fighting it out at the end plus I got to sit up till 2 a.m and watch it live.
    There's no time for hesitating.
    Pain is ready, pain is waiting.
    Primed to do it's educating.
  • Wot no Cunego?

Good point... After all Amstel Gold, Klasika Primevera, that brilliant stage at Tour of the Basque Country 3rd in Fleche Wallon and second in the worlds probably wasn't enough to push him above some French kid who looks like he might be quite decent in a few years or the winning machine that is Maxime Monfort.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Wot no Cunego?

Good point... After all Amstel Gold, Klasika Primevera, that brilliant stage at Tour of the Basque Country 3rd in Fleche Wallon and second in the worlds probably wasn't enough to push him above some French kid who looks like he might be quite decent in a few years or the winning machine that is Maxime Monfort.

Hi there.

Maybe Cunego's problem is that he won the Giro so young, nothing else compares?

Cheers, Andy
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537

Boonen was a lot higher!

Maybe a double meaning, Teagar? :wink:
  • teagar

Boonen was a lot higher!

Maybe a double meaning, Teagar? :wink:

Yeah... Sorry. It was a bad day. My point remains though. Far too low.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    No mention of the guy who wins Amstel, Lombardia (for a third time) and gets a very unselfish second on the Worlds?

That article was a load of cr@p
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.