Cheapest carbon bottlecage

ror_b211
ror_b211 Posts: 65
edited November 2008 in Workshop
I like the look of carbon on bottle cages- but i'd rather not pay £30-odd for them. Are there any cheaper (maybe a bit heavier) options to get the carbon look?

Comments

• Try this guy on ebay. I bought a pair last month from him cheaper than this price (£19-98 for the pair) and they are are as good as any expensive ones I've seen for sale at 3 times the price. Make sure you copy and paste the whole link otherwise just search for carbon bottle cage on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-CARBON- ... 240%3A1318
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    cyclingvet wrote:
    Try this guy on ebay. I bought a pair last month from him cheaper than this price (£19-98 for the pair) and they are are as good as any expensive ones I've seen for sale at 3 times the price. Make sure you copy and paste the whole link otherwise just search for carbon bottle cage on ebay

There's no name or logo. Haven't got a clue what they are.
  • Have a look at Planet X
  • cyclingvet wrote:
    Try this guy on ebay. I bought a pair last month from him cheaper than this price (£19-98 for the pair) and they are are as good as any expensive ones I've seen for sale at 3 times the price. Make sure you copy and paste the whole link otherwise just search for carbon bottle cage on ebay

There's no name or logo. Haven't got a clue what they are.
    Only a bottle cage though...? If they were unbranded carbon forks for that price I'd be more wary.
  • wilwil
    wilwil Posts: 374
    Some of these cages the bottles rattle. I note that these ebay ones don't have a grip for the top of the bottle. My ZIP cages hold the bottle solid. Note the curved part above the cage. I tried cheaper ones but sent them back.

IMG_2003.JPG
  • Wow the PBK ones are, anyone had any experience?
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    I've got some Decathlon own brand ones (no name on them) and I swear they are the same as the Zipp ones. 16grms each and 14.99 euros. Work fine. Last time I looked thye only had branded ones (forget which make) and they were 20euros.
  • The ebay ones I ordered last month are virtually identical in design and size to a pair of Enigma branded ones I bought with my Enigma Esprit and those hold bottles in perfectly OK.

I must admit that I haven't used these ebay ones yet as they are intended for a new build I'm doing over the winter, but at this cheap price I was willing to take the risk. Feedback on other cages sold was very good.
  • I got a couple more Token ones from Wiggle. Had one on another bike for a few years and not had any problems. Grips the bottle tight. I think I paid £22 ea
    Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The Planet-X ones grip the bottle very well, weigh 22g, currently £21 but a few weeks ago were £15, so watch their prices and they may come down again.
  • fto-si
    fto-si Posts: 402
    ror_b211 wrote:
    Wow the PBK ones are, anyone had any experience?

I have a couple of PBK carbon cages on my Orca and they are fine. They hold my bottles secure enough which I guess is all I need them to do!
    exercise.png
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Those Zipp cages are £40 a pop aren't they? Not quite in the spirit of the original post! :wink: I'd rather pay £12 though the logo does look nice.
    The prices at probikekit range from £12 to £93 (reduced from £115)!!!
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The PBK do look very good value seeing as they come post-free and with a free CSC bottle! (worth £4).
  • http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/index.php?cPath=39

I've got the middle one and it's great.....
  • wilwil
    wilwil Posts: 374
    inseine wrote:
    Those Zipp cages are £40 a pop aren't they? Not quite in the spirit of the original post! :wink: I'd rather pay £12 though the logo does look nice.
    The prices at probikekit range from £12 to £93 (reduced from £115)!!!

£31.50. I was pointing out that I found the cheaper ones didn't work as well so therefore building on the spirit of the post.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Lesson learnt, the hard way!...............
    When you see a bargain, buy it, no hesitation!! :evil:
    I looked at the Pro Bike cages yesterday, very nice, but do I need them?...... :roll:
    Decided this morning that, yes, I did......
    Out of stock, and the price is now £18.99!! :evil: :evil: ..........F**K!
    Gonna get a set of Michelin Pro 3 tyres at £24.50 each, though I don't need them.... yet! :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!