First sportive

M Currell
M Currell Posts: 15
Hi i have entered my first sportive The Hell of Ashdown,can anyone give me some training advise currently i have about ten hours a week to train,i have not done any rides that have any real hills as i live in Sandy Bedfordshire which in very flat.
My bike has a campag compact 53/39 ten speed crankset will this be suitable for this kind of ride.Any advise welcome.
Are there any members on this forum who live local who would be interested in getting together for training rides or anyone who can reccomend a good local cycling club.

Comments

• jhop
    jhop Posts: 369
    53 x 39 is not a compact but a standard double chainset.

I would advise you get a compact unless you are really strong on the hills.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    jhop wrote:
    53 x 39 is not a compact but a standard double chainset.

I would advise you get a compact unless you are really strong on the hills.

And/or a 13-29 cassette
    M.Rushton
  • A 39 x 29 combo should be OK for those climbs so long as you pace your effort. The second half of the course after the over-hyped "Wall" of Kidds Hill has a number of other climbs that are steep but short and you'll soon find out on the climb out of Groombridge (or the next one) if you've overdone it earlier in the ride.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Defintely join a club if there's one nearby. (Try here: http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/si ... Finder.asp) It means you get people to ride with and they can pass on tips to you.

Another option is to do audaxes to getthe miles in - like sportives but not competitive and the people are dead nice: http://www.audax.uk.net/cal/index.htm

Good luck with the sportive, I hope you enjoy it!

Andy
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • vermooten wrote:
    Another option is to do audaxes to getthe miles in - like sportives but not competitive and the people are dead nice: http://www.audax.uk.net/cal/index.htm

Indeed. The Catford CC event grew out of a so-called reliability ride (a kind of winter audax for roadies) and still sits in the middle of the Kent reliabilty rides series that takes place during January and February. I plan to be doing all of them myself and can recommend the Old Portlians reliability ride, starting from nearby Halstead, as one that is just as challenging as the Catford event -- perhaps even more so in the latter part, as it ascends Toys Hill from the southern (steep) side.

I know some local people who use the deliberately hilly Invicta Grimpeur audax as a warm up for the Flanders sportive a few weeks later.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    M Currell wrote:
    Are there any members on this forum who live local who would be interested in getting together for training rides or anyone who can reccomend a good local cycling club.
    Probably the closest to you are Beds Road Cycling Club who meet at their club room in Cardington. Pretty friendly bunch from what I've seen of them.
    http://www.bedsroad.org/index.php

A bit further afield are Hitchin Nomads, Icknield Road Club (club room at Silsoe) or of course my lot CC Luton who meet for club runs at Barton Saturdays and Sundays.

In terms of training for sportives, it's mainly a case of building up your endurance, so plenty of long rides (3-4 hours) mixed with a few shorter/faster rides (1-2 hours). I think the Hell of Ashdown is only about 60 miles so not too tough.

There are a series of Reliability Rides planned for Jan-Mar called the Chiltern Series, some starting in west London, others a bit closer to you in Hemel or near Dunstable. I'll post full details on here when the dates are confirmed.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Bronzie wrote:
    M Currell wrote:
    Probably the closest to you are Beds Road Cycling Club who meet at their club room in Cardington. Pretty friendly bunch from what I've seen of them.
    http://www.bedsroad.org/index.php

A bit further afield are Hitchin Nomads, Icknield Road Club (club room at Silsoe) or of course my lot CC Luton who meet for club runs at Barton Saturdays and Sundays.

In terms of training for sportives, it's mainly a case of building up your endurance, so plenty of long rides (3-4 hours) mixed with a few shorter/faster rides (1-2 hours). I think the Hell of Ashdown is only about 60 miles so not too tough.

There are a series of Reliability Rides planned for Jan-Mar called the Chiltern Series, some starting in west London, others a bit closer to you in Hemel or near Dunstable. I'll post full details on here when the dates are confirmed.

agree with Bronzie about Beds Road Club. I'm a very new member myself, and they are a very friendly bunch.

Over the winter, training wise, there's the Sunday morning club run, usually anything from 30 miles (if there is another event on the same day) to around 70 miles with a cake stop half way. This Sundays is 50 -ish miles I think, and I would say 40-50 is typical. Meet is 9.00am on Bedford Embankment on corner of the High Street opposite Swan Hotel.

They have a new race training session on a Saturday afternoon too. 2 hours - about 30 miles at a very steady pace but with some short hard efforts mixed in. I've not been on one of these sessions yet. These sessions start from the club house in Cardington.

Finally spinning sessions on a Thursday evening, not sure exactly where these are held, but it's one of the gyms in Bedford.

During the summer there's a load of weekend and midweek time trials, road races etc...... to get involved with on top of the usual Sunday morning run. Not sure what will happen with the race training over the summer as it's a new thing.
  • Thanks for all the responses.

Hammerite do you know if there is a club run this Sunday? if so i will try to come along and see how i get on.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    M Currell wrote:
    Thanks for all the responses.

Hammerite do you know if there is a club run this Sunday? if so i will try to come along and see how i get on.

sorry for the late reply, been out of action with the lurgy (still am)! Yes there is a club run this Sunday, think it's heading out to Stockgrove Country Park (about 50 mile round trip from Bedford). http://www.bedsroad.org/events/index.php?cmd=coming-soon

There are rides every Sunday. Check the events guide and club forum (if weather is particularly bad check the forum before setting off as someone will post if the ride is cancelled), it would save you a journey over from Sandy.