seat post grease?

bluecow
bluecow Posts: 306
edited November 2008 in Workshop
What sort of grease should i be using for my seat post? I am currently trying to eliminate all options as to the source of my bike creaking/clicking before i take the BB apart.
Many thanks!

Comments

• bluecow
    BTW is a carbon seatpost.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    You could try carbon assembly grease/paste. Try loosening the bolt that secures the seatpost to the saddle then retightening it again. It's quite a common source of creaks on a bike (even when stood up sometimes!).
  • What's the frame made of?

Is it a definite creak rather than a click?

Saddle rails
    seatpost
    quick releases on wheels
    stem (both faceplate and onto steerer)
    cleats on pedals
    chainrings against spider
    chainring bolts

the common causes of bike creaking that can be fixed with greasing
  • bluecow
    So far have cleaned and re-greased chainring bolts, taken the seat post out, cleaned it and put it back, greased the pedals... The only thing that seems to cure the problem is cleaning and lubing the chain,but this only works for a couple of rides, say 60 miles and then it starts again. Its not even a subtle creak, but a really irritating rickety noise.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bluecow wrote:
    So far have cleaned and re-greased chainring bolts, taken the seat post out, cleaned it and put it back, greased the pedals... The only thing that seems to cure the problem is cleaning and lubing the chain,but this only works for a couple of rides, say 60 miles and then it starts again. Its not even a subtle creak, but a really irritating rickety noise.
    So i do not think that the seat post is the problem.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bluecow
    There could be more than one fault. (?)
    My original question was what to use (if anything) to grease a carbon seat post.
    Any helpful advice?
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    I stopped my seat post creak by directing some 3 in 1 easing oil down the gap between the ali frame and the ali seat post liner. This did the trick for my problem.
    Half man, Half bike
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    bluecow wrote:
    There could be more than one fault. (?)
    My original question was what to use (if anything) to grease a carbon seat post.
    Any helpful advice?

Well I posted a response to that, but you seem to have ignored it.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    No grease on a carbon post : use assembly compound.
    Other possible noises :
    BB : have you reinstalled that ?
    Chain :
    a) check for wear (chain tool if you have one)
    b) If wear is ok then give it a really good clean and examine for any damage.
    Reinstall the cassette.
    Seat : reinstall on post clamps.
    Can it be coming from the front-end ? Check headset.
    Check wheel skewers : lightly grease and ensure they are nice and tight.
    Handlebar/stem interface. Reinstall bars with greasing or assembly compound at the bar-clamp area.

A few starters ^ : can be very annoying/
  • bluecow
    andyrr wrote:
    No grease on a carbon post : use assembly compound.
    Other possible noises :
    BB : have you reinstalled that ?
    Chain :
    a) check for wear (chain tool if you have one)
    b) If wear is ok then give it a really good clean and examine for any damage.
    Reinstall the cassette.
    Seat : reinstall on post clamps.
    Can it be coming from the front-end ? Check headset.
    Check wheel skewers : lightly grease and ensure they are nice and tight.
    Handlebar/stem interface. Reinstall bars with greasing or assembly compound at the bar-clamp area.

A few starters ^ : can be very annoying/

A few things to be going on with, thanks :)
    I have been reading around and people have cured their problem with all manner of unthinkable solutions. I'll just keep tweaking and see where i end up. There seem to be so many possibilities though i may be here for some time. Grrr!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    All I can add is to lightly lube ANYPLACE that two pieces of metal or carbon meet or are clamped together.

Dennis Noward
  • I had similar problems with my Giant SCR 3, solved by greasing the shim that was inserted into the down tube
  • wilwil
    wilwil Posts: 374
    dennisn wrote:
    All I can add is to lightly lube ANYPLACE that two pieces of metal or carbon meet or are clamped together.

Dennis Noward
    Not carbon.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    ijportwine wrote:
    I had similar problems with my Giant SCR 3, solved by greasing the shim that was inserted into the down tube
    Ditto. A short while after I had been riding it my SCR 2 started making a noise. That was the BB, a nip of the allen key sorted it.

A little later a different one. This time I removed the seat tube and shim, grease surfaces with silicon grease and refit. Problem solved.

I have a different creak now :(
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.