New numpty...

zedhead
zedhead Posts: 109
edited November 2008 in MTB beginners
Just got meself signed on here! :wink:

I'm not a true newbie in the strict sense, as I had a Saracen Sahara about 12 years ago that I used & abused when I was at college in Doncaster, but am now wanting to get back into MTBing. Given that the Saracen is very tired, and will need lots of love and attention to get it back into shape, plus the fact that I'm thinking of a full sus bike as I have a dodgy lower back, I'm after a new machine, probably s'hand so I end up with decent spec for not too much outlay (looking roundabout the 300 quid mark).

So I'll be spending some time here to gain some valuable info! :lol:
Early Orange 5, Felt Z85, Scott Thicko, modified Giant full suss (both nicked)- beat-up single-speed rigid 1992 Saracen (scrapped), and various 2-wheelers with big engines

Comments

• bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Welcome welcome!

If you're worried about your back then buy from a shop and get them to set you up with the right position as a bad riding set-up will do more damage than riding a hardtail. Backpain is usually down to riding position and not the type of bike you ride. The shop will be able to offer you loads of advice about crank length, contact points and set-up to help you deter back pains. It' all about how much weight your back is carrying compared to your arms - and the angle at which your back is arched. Call your local stores and see if they have any old model bikes going at discount, then you're getting a new bike with money off and you'll get the advice and set up that only a shop can offer.
    So don't dismiss a hardtail, for you're price bracket you'll get a corker. Otherwise, best of luck finding your full sus!
    Check out the sticky thread for good brands.
  • A big HELLO to ya 8)
    Paul
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    £300 will get you a lot of hardtail these days, especially used, but not much full suss... Also full suss comes with extra weight which could put more strain on the lower back over time. Might be worth looking at a suspension seatpost to take the strain off your back maybe? I've not used one myself but some of them get pretty good reviews.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • If looking at full suss at this price point, go for a decent used model. A new £ 300 full suss will be nasty and probably do your back more harm than good.

Marv
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.
  • zedhead
    Thanks for the advice! I had considered a suspension seatpost, although haven't heard any reports on their performance at all, so I'd thought that they were just a fad that had been and gone, but I'm happy to be proved wrong! After all, as you say, there seems to be some really good hardtails around the 300 quid mark... 8)
    Early Orange 5, Felt Z85, Scott Thicko, modified Giant full suss (both nicked)- beat-up single-speed rigid 1992 Saracen (scrapped), and various 2-wheelers with big engines
  • zedhead
    Oh, Bluechair, I've always preferred riding with lots of weight on my wrists, and never had any problems back when I was using the Saracen, but was uncertain how I'd cope now...
    I ride motorbikes a lot too, and again prefer weight through wrists and legs rather than through my arse, and never have back problems then.