Any help grateful!!!!

Goose2k7
Goose2k7 Posts: 67
edited November 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi people!

you'll have to excuse the bad post new to this forum malarkey!

I used to ride an old Diamond Back Racing carbon WCF Vertex (Hardtail) a long time ago (9 yrs ago ish!) and loved XC ridng and on the trails, cut long story short stopped riding about 7yrs ago went to uni all the usual time consuming things and dropped out the scene. On being told by a doctor i'm very unfit and need to exercise this seemed the most logical seemed to hit the bikes again. I bought a couple of magazines and totally hooked again but so out of touch to whats a decent bike!

I have about £1500 - £1800 to spend on a ful sus bike which i'm looking to hit the trails etc (i.e Llandegla, Snowdon) but at a total loss of what to go for some i've had recomended ( Generaly from shops which sell the specific brands) are :

Cannondale Rush 4
Giant Anthem 2
Trek E7 & E8

I'm just looking for the best ride and kit for the money any ideas or recommendations out of the ones above?????

Any help would be grateful!

Goose2k7
Ride : 09 Trek Fuel EX 8

Comments

• Chris5.5
    Chris5.5 Posts: 154
    All three of them bikes are good choices, the Treks seem to be very highly rated. I was in a similar position recently and went for this bike below, its and 08 model but is is £400 cheaper than the 09 model. This will leave you with a few hundred quid for clothing and so on.

I use it on Llandegla quite a lot, the forks and shock are excellent. They are both air, so I can set them to my weight, which is ideal as I am a bit heavy.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec001438
  • hi mate...ive just been through the same dilemma. Used to ride in the 80s on road then casually got into xc after about 17 yrs out. Last month i finally opted for the Trek fuel ex8 2009. This was a hard decision...i was looking at the stumpjumpers and the marin bikes but i just found the feel and look of the trek was superb. The advice i can give u is...go visit all your shops and search online too...they are all pretty much similar spec at your price range so its more of which u feel comfortable on. the shop assistants that ride bikes are very helpful at sizing u onto a bike too....point of warning....make sure u save around £300 for kit
  • Cheers!

Been looking again today and def into the Trek EX 8 was gonna go for 08 model but thought what the heck fallen for the 09 tried the cannondale rush 4 but feels better riding position on the trek!

Is there anything to be looking out for problemwise on the trek?
    What sort of kit/extras would be good to purchase at same time?

Thanks again
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    A good helmet is a no brainer, some shorts and a set of mitts and/or gloves for the winter will make it all abit more comfortable. A camelback for ur drink is also a good thing to have unless ur old skool like me and still use bottles/cages.

Some basic tools like a set of allen keys, chain splitter, and maybe a chainwhip with cassette lockring tool will be very useful for cleaning along with a set of cone spanners. Make sure u get some good lubes too like Finish Line Wet/Dry and a can of GT85 are never wasted.

Other than that just make sure u have a pump and puncture kit and get out and ride.
  • Mate i have the Trek Fuel Ex 8 09 model. I bought it a month or two back and its the business. Handles like a dream and renewed my enthusiasm for riding all over again. If you buy one though make sure you get some helicopter tape for all the spots that the cables touch the frame. It only took a couple of rides in the wet for the cables to leave some savage wear through the paint.
  • Couldn't help myself just picked up a Trek Ex 8 in the Rootbeer color looks great!
    Just need to get out on the trails now Llandegla here I come!

Thanks for all the advice guys really helped!! I do just have one question though does anyone know if the Trek EX8 comes with an 08 or 09 Fox Shocks cos just been looking through the manual and says they are 08 even though the bike is 09?

Thanks Again