Bad experience with FSA after sales support

Bugly
Bugly Posts: 520
edited November 2008 in Workshop
I had a commuting accident mid week. I hit a traffic island at 45kph and went flying throught the air doing a superman impersonation :oops: . As a result of the incident the front wheel a FSA RD600 came out the worse for wear. Now I am surprised how well the wheel survived the impect - it is unridable because the box section of th rim collapsed slightly and the rim itself was bent in cuttinf the bead of a tyre.

The hub feels as strong as ever, and on close examination it looks to be in fine to rebuild on. SO I emailed the FSA importer in Australia and enquired about a rim to rebuild the wheel or if they could organise a rebuild. The response - " we dont carry spares we can however sell you a new front wheel $710 thank you or if you like we can sell you a set for $900 special crash pricing."

The wheels have about 500 km on them and are essentially new. With this quality of support I am totally turned off buying FSA products again (I have a few on various bikes). I think they are well made and quality parts.

I WOULD have been happy to pay a couple of hundred dollars for a rim, but to be told by the local agent I would have to buy a complete wheel to replace a damaged rim is ludicrous. FSA never again :x

Comments

• It's not just FSA that do this... in Spain for example, you can't buy 1 Rolf wheel, you have to buy the pair! :shock:

For what it's worth, I had some pretty darn good customer service from the folks at Spinergy a few months back. They sent me a fixed front PBO wheel under warranty (free) with free postage back, then the stupid buggers at the spanish post office sent the package back to the states without telling me anything, and spinergy re-sent it a second time free!
    I'm really happy with their wheels. :)

Other than that, this is a good reason to go for a set of hand built wheels... when parts do break, you simply replace what you need to! :wink:
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    could you not just rebuild it with an aftermarket rim?

how many holes is the rim?

I think it's well documneted that factory wheels aren't as easy to get spares for.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    @maddpg will try to find a suitable rim :?