Track Pump Problems

redbranchwarrior
redbranchwarrior Posts: 24
edited November 2008 in Workshop
Hi folks

I need some advice re: track pumps.

Im not sure if im using doing something wrong, but after i have inflated the tyres on my Spesh Sirrus i have real trouble getting the adapter off, i unlock it but it feels like its vacuumed itself on, this frequently results in my pulling off the valve (most frustrating!!!).

Can anyone give any advice, is this a common problem? I have changed pumps but have the same problem with this one too.
"Whoever fights monsters should see to it in the process he does not become a monster"

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Hi folks

Im not sure if im using doing something wrong, but after i have inflated the tyres on my Spesh Sirrus i have real trouble getting the adapter off, i unlock it but it feels like its vacuumed itself on, this frequently results in my pulling off the valve (most frustrating!!!).

Can anyone give any advice, is this a common problem? I have changed pumps but have the same problem with this one too.
    -

Don't take this wrong, but have you got locking and unlocking mixed up? You put it on
    locked, then unlock and pump, then lock and try to remove? I'm not sure that would even work but "what can happen will". Just a shot in the dark.

Dennis Noward
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    My Blackburn track pump is also bloody hard to get off the valve after inflation, both with Schraeder and Presta, and yes, I do know which way the locking lever works :wink:

a serious case of small cogs
  • dennisn
    toontra wrote:
    My Blackburn track pump is also bloody hard to get off the valve after inflation, both with Schraeder and Presta, and yes, I do know which way the locking lever works :wink:

I've got a couple of pumps and they do tend to be a bit difficult to get off but I have never
    pulled off the valve. That's what hit me about his post. Or is he talking about pulling the valve off the pump head? I thought he meant pulling the tire valve off the tube. Hmmmmm

Dennis Noward
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Well, I've ripped valve soff the tubes in taking the pump off, but I put that down to poorly manufactured tubes, as it hasn't happene dnow in a long time.

When it was happening it was with specialized tubes.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • dennisn
    chuckcork wrote:
    Well, I've ripped valve soff the tubes in taking the pump off, but I put that down to poorly manufactured tubes, as it hasn't happene dnow in a long time.

When it was happening it was with specialized tubes.

Ripping the valve off the tube is a new one on me. Wish i could help.

Dennis Noward
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Hi folks

Yes, it's quite common - my Joe Blow Max 2's the same - easy enough to put on, but slightly tricky to get off. You do get used to it over time though - I just tend to take my time with it, and take it slowly, particularly when getting it off.
  • I use to have the same problem. What I have found helps is to put the head of the pump onto the valve and pump up your tubes, then release the lock, then somewhere on your pump there will be a 'dump' valve just press that to release the air out of the pump line (don't worry you won't deflate the tires since you have already released the lock) once all the air is out of the pump you should find it easier to remove the head from the valve.

If the pump is new it will still be a little tough to remove but over time the seals will loosen up a little and removal should be easier.

Hope this helps.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Most track pumps have a one-way valve at the bottom end of the chamber leading to the hose. When pumping cold, wet air it compresses and the water vapour condenses and can collect at the bottom of the pump chamber - and usually corroding or forming debris which holds the valve open. Suggest you dismantle / give your pump a service, drain out the sludgy water and hopefully it will start working properly again. This is always a problem when storing your track pump in an unheated garage.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • iga
    iga Posts: 155
    Same problem with my Truflo pump. Releasing air from the line as mentioned above does help as does a dod of vaseline on the valve, I still need to be careful though.
    FCN 7
    Aravis Audax, Moulton TSR
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    Used my track pump (Joe Blow) for the first time today and I'm not sure whether or not it's actually done anything :?

The pressure gauge just seemed to respond to how hard I pushed down, rather than anything to do with the tyres. So sometimes was on 20, other times it stayed on 120+

How do I know what the tyre pressure was when I started, and what it is now? Am I just doing something stupidly wrong?

I though usinga track pumo was just a case of locking the seal and then just pump away...
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Jen,

Are you using presta valves? If so after you've unscrewed it (you did, didn't you?), press the valve to release a blast of air, just to make sure it is open. If the pressure on the manometer is varying as much as you say it is, I think it is just measuring the pressure in the hose as you pump and no air is actually going into the tyre. Thinking about it, the same goes for Schraeder valves too, just press the centre of the valve in to let a little air out first.

As you pump, the pressure will rise higher than the tube pressure as you press down but on the up stoke should be stable and show the pressure in the tube. And of course, if air is going into the tube it should be slightly higher after every stroke.

Regards breaking valves, I think that is just down to ham-fistedness! A mini pump is the worst for it if you don't hold the rim, valve and pump firmly so the valve can't waggle as you pump, but any pump with a hose (not just a track pump) should prevent that. As posted above, just ease the pump off the valve slowly and if your pump has a pressure release valve, open that to bleed the air in the pump, before unlocking the pump head. My zefal pump can be a pain at times, but not bust a valve yet.
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    schweiz wrote:
    Jen,

Are you using presta valves? If so after you've unscrewed it (you did, didn't you

Oh.

:oops:

Everyone gets it wrong on their first attempt though. Don't they...?

Thanks - I now have nicely pumped up tyres :D
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Doh!

Don't worry, we've all done it. Even after pumping tyres up for nearly 20 years (not continuously!), there's been more than one time I've got distracted/been in a rush/been away with the fairies and tried to pump up a tyre without opening the valve first!!

Just glad you're sorted!