Specialized Epic year?

andyjayh
andyjayh Posts: 46
edited October 2008 in MTB general
Hi all,

Wonder if someone could help identify the age of my Specialized Epic Expert for me. I believe Specialized change the colour of the bike each year and mine is Mango (Orange), does that provide a clue?

I bought it from Evans during a summer clear out sale as an ex-demo bike. It was labelled as a 08 model, so nearly new, and why I snapped it up. As I investigated a little further after my impulse buy! That it certainly is not a 08 model :( Checking my receipt it marked it as an 07 model and I have a feeling it might even be an 06

I went back to Evans and complained that they had misrepresented the bike and they gave me £100 of vouchers back. The other options was to pay another £1000 to upgrade to a carbon Epic :shock: or to trade for an 08 Stumpy. To be honest I was quite keen to try the Epic out as my Brother had a Stumpy already.

Very happy with the bike so far though and really getting back into ridding now, shame the weather is turning wet and cold :(

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    picture?

Looked on Speshes webby?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Sorry about the piccy quality, taken with camera fone!

Epic_1.jpg

Been looking through the Specialized webby but haven't managed to find anything to identify age.
  • nicklouse
    Not the colour i was expecting.

But I think that is Demo bike orange.

it may be better to identify the year of the forks/shock, gears etc...
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • When you say Demo bike, were these ones not intended for main sales and just for the shops demos?
  • nicklouse
    correct that is what i ment.
    In that it is not a common colour and i have seen it (or similar) on demo bikes.

But others may know better.
  • Perhaps that is why I am having trouble tracking it down then :roll:

I have come across a couple of internet articals the show that colour on 2007 test bikes so perhaps it is 07 rather than 06 in the end?

I assume the fact that it is a test bike it is still the same spec as the normal sales bike apart from the colour?
  • nicklouse
    Like i said date the parts.

the fork and shock labels change each year so easy to age...
  • Cheers for your help :D I will have a go at that and see how far I get

Thanks
  • rgarner
    rgarner Posts: 77
    I did notice one of these on my web travels the other day (I liked the colour and remembered it :))

http://www.masoportunidades.net/item-29 ... xpert.html seems to think it's '07.
  • Cool many thanks :D

Glad I gave Evans a hard time about selling me an 06 bike that was advertised as an 08. Not so bad being that it was really an 07 :lol:

Anyway. I love the bike and that's what counts 8)

Cheers
  • ainesy
    ainesy Posts: 5
    I think its a great colour!! And made even more appealing knowing there is obviously not too many around!
    All in all, well shopped buddy!! :D:D:lol:
  • Yeah I really like it 8) I didn't realise at the time that it might be a bit unusual and I am dead chuffed with it :D