Racing in the Midlands

ma123
ma123 Posts: 87
edited November 2008 in Pro race
Hi I live in Birmingham and Im planning to race next season for the first time, I was wondering if there is any road racing November - March in or around Birmingham cat 4 Pref closed circuit. I dont expect there to be much but i was looking at the winter series advertised at Hillingdon which is miles away and thought there may be something going on more locally.

Comments

• Solihull do some closed circuit races at Tudor Grange, not sure when they're planned for next year though.
  • Check the Britishcycling event calendar, they advertise all upcoming events.
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    There isn't any road races over the winter in the W.Mids as far as i'm aware.

There's a lot of club organised chain gang type training though. My club (Wolverhampton Wheelers) organises training sessions at Aldersley stadium through the winter on Wednesdays and Fridays, and they're open to all

I presume the Solihull have sessions at Tudour Grange - they may well expect you to join to participate though.

If you can make it to Shrewsbury, Mid Shrop. Wheelers run training sessions at Sundore on Thursday, open to all
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    I've recently been copied on this communication, in case it's of interest:

"To all,

There is an evening steady ride every week just been started on the Birmingham Business Park, just by the NEC on Thursday nights 18.00-20.00 for anyone interested. Its a circular route of about 3/4 mile in lit, well surfaced roads with no traffic as everybody has gone home. Just turn up anytime, do as many laps or time etc... as you like, just peel off and go home. Everybody is welcome. Please pass the message round to all clubs etc....

Here is Birmingham Business Park:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?oe=UTF ... 3bb2cadc5d

Cheers,

Richard Shimmell
    Warwicks RC"
  • If looking to get in shape try the runs from Birmingham City Cycles on a saturday morning at 7 or Thursday night at 6:30. Great prep for your seasons. Riders of all abilities from cat 1 down to beginners
  • ma123 wrote:
    Hi I live in Birmingham and Im planning to race next season for the first time, I was wondering if there is any road racing November - March in or around Birmingham cat 4 Pref closed circuit. I dont expect there to be much but i was looking at the winter series advertised at Hillingdon which is miles away and thought there may be something going on more locally.

As already noted, the main season for road/circuit racing has finished and there are only a very few events put on through the winter - (many turn to cyclo-cross who wish to continue racing).

As it reads, this is your first venture into road racing and you don't say how much riding you have done previously. If you haven't done much group riding before, this will be one of the key skills needed in bunch events and as a suggestion therefore, I would recommend you join a local club and join in some of their group rides/training sessions over the next few months, ready to start the new season in Feb/March 2009.

Which part of Birmingham are you in, and I'm sure several on here will be able to point you in the direction of suitable local groups ?