Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB workshop & tech

Chain Suck

steelosteelo Posts: 541
edited November 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
This may sound like a completely rediculous question but is there a fast and solid solution to stop chain suck when out on a dark, wet, cold, muddy ride?

I was out last night and I began suffering with chain-suck. Every 8-10 spins of the pedals and "GRAUNCH!" the chain was jamming. A hard back pedal solved it each time but it really knocked my confidence in the bike and pedalling became tedious and slow with apprehension of it happening again and again - which it did!

So any solutions? Or is it just get back home to wash and re-lube the drivetrain?

Cheers for any help and advice.
Specialized Rockhopper '07
Trek Fuel EX8 '09

• nicklousenicklouse Posts: 81,520 Lives Here
    replace the worn out parts.
    make sure the chain is not damaged.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • TonyWardTonyWard Posts: 149
    I have been searching on this as well as had the problem extensively in a muddy Crowthorne Autumn classic yesterday.

These two seem to be useful

http://fagan.co.za/Bikes/Csuck/

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/hub.html
  • xgeekxgeek Posts: 117
    I had my first experience of chain suck yesterday. Only had my bike a month and only done about 250 miles, so I would be very surprised if it has worn parts already?

The incident almost threw me over the top of the handle bars :shock: I am sure if I had not been clipped in I would of ended up in a heap on the floor :?

My bike was minging and I had been riding through Eppring forest in deep sludge when it happened, so I am hoping it was down to how full of gunk the chain and front and rear mech were rather than a mechanical failure.

Everything is now nice and clean again and all lubed up so will have to wait until Saturday to test.
    I had a look at mine tonight after reading the websites I referred above. No doubt there is definite "hooked" profile on the granny and some extent middle ring and a fair few of the rear cogs. The bike has had about 40 hours of hardish offroad riding. Is that normal - I have no real idea but would have thought they would last longer than that?
  • dave_hilldave_hill Posts: 3,877
    xgeek wrote:
    I had my first experience of chain suck yesterday. Only had my bike a month and only done about 250 miles, so I would be very surprised if it has worn parts already?

I wouldn't, especially if the chainring is a middle Shimano one (made of cheese) and a Shimano chain. They're complete censored and wear out in not time.

Sram chains and Blackspire or Middleburn rings every time now for me.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • xgeekxgeek Posts: 117
    dave_hill wrote:
    xgeek wrote:

I wouldn't, especially if the chainring is a middle Shimano one (made of cheese) and a Shimano chain. They're complete censored and wear out in not time.

Sram chains and Blackspire or Middleburn rings every time now for me.

I am using a KMC X9 chain from Merlin and my crankset is a Truvativ Firex something or other.

Have looked on CRC for Middleburn rings but there are soooo many and I have no idea what one I need to buy.

Many thanks
    XG
  • Right, to get the right rings, you need then number of arms basically. Then buy the appropriate holed rings, I use middleburn slickshift hardcoat rings. Never worn one out yet :wink:
  • and because I'm nice to you, but not your wallet:

posh rings

you want the 4bolt options, choose the number of teeth to match the current ones.
    and presumably a new chain and rear cassette at the same time?