Gatorskin woes

beverick
beverick Posts: 3,461
edited October 2008 in Workshop
Been there, tried them, gone back to the Armadillo's.

For the last three months I've been running on Gatorskins on both the road bike (25c) and commuter 'hack' (28c).

The previous tyres of choice were Armadillos and, having run on them for the previous 2 1/2 years, I'd got used to their almost bomb proof construction (ie no punctures cased by single items penetrating the tread). Punctures were coming at the rate of one about every 14 months.

So, last night when I rode the last 1/2 mile on the rear rim (it was down to 20psi) and had pulled more glass from yet another hole I went back to the Armadillos.

Ok, the ride's harder with Armadillos but with punctures at a rate of around one every three weeks they're no more durable than a "standard" tyre.

Bob

Comments

• Ramanujan
    Ramanujan Posts: 352
    yep, I made the same Gatorskin mistake
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    I guess that's why they are also called "hamsterskins" :!:
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • damage36
    damage36 Posts: 282
    I've sold mine to my dad. Winner.
    Legs, lungs and lycra.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I know many people who used them once - mine are on the turbo bike. You'd probably get a tougher tyre if it were made with plasticene!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    damage36 wrote:
    Cruel!
  • damage36
    alfablue wrote:
    damage36 wrote:
    Cruel!

He claims they will only puncture from flints, and that he'll religiously check his wheels after every ride. Fine by me!
    Legs, lungs and lycra.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • stevett
    stevett Posts: 193
    I agree - tried them but they are pretty crap especially the side walls i've found. Any suggestions for a decent replacement this winter? Armadillos may be too slow for me
  • damage36
    SteveTT wrote:
    I agree - tried them but they are pretty crap especially the side walls i've found. Any suggestions for a decent replacement this winter? Armadillos may be too slow for me

Michelin Krylion Carbon get rave reviews! A little hard to get hold of at the moment though, lots of online stockists seem to be out of them. PLUS, they look nice :D
    Legs, lungs and lycra.

• i've been using gatorskins for a few years now and rarely get punctures (riding 200k plus/wk), my husband is a messenger riding fixed and a pair will last him at least a few months, even with skidding. armadillos are too slippy in the wet. i know some messengers use toughy strips too.
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    Heard many Gatorskin woes. Contis do seem to be the Marmite brand, however I love my GP4 seasons, which seem pretty tough and more importantly, grippy.
    GP4000-S seem pretty good too,however these are rarely used in the wet just because of the hoops and bike they're on.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I switched from Gatorskins to Krylion carbons. Gators are great when new but once they get a little bit worn then there's no hope for them.
  • Andy140
    Andy140 Posts: 130
    Been using GP4000 for last 1500 miles with only one P in cr*p summer conditions , so reasonably pleased, thinking of the gatorskins for winter...........thinking again..... :?:
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    300-400kms per week almost all of it on Gatorskins puncture maybe monthly. No probs for me!
  • Rubino Pros since December. 2800 miles. No punctures. Wear well. Pretty reasonable grip. Just put them onto the winter bike.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    brownbosh wrote:
    300-400kms per week almost all of it on Gatorskins puncture maybe monthly. No probs for me!
    I would not consider that acceptable - I haven't had a puncture in 8000kms or more, 1 per 1200kms is too many!.
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    Ah - at this point I should add for the stats that at knocking on for 13 stone and running my pressures 90-105psi, I've had no punctures (famous last words) with all-season running on potholed gravelly/flinty roads with GP4000 (c. 2000 miles), GP4 Season (c.2000 miles).
    Wifey has Vittoria Rubinos, and despite riding on towpaths and rough flinty tracks, has only had 1 puncture in c.1,500 miles.
    The 4 seasons are substantially more grippy in the wet (IMHO) than GP4000 tyres, however seem not much different to GP4000-S i.e. 4000-S should be just as good.

Always fancied trying a pair of Panaracers, just to be different!