Jelly?

ADJD
ADJD Posts: 47
edited October 2008 in Health, fitness & training
Can anyone tell me about the nutritional values of a block of jelly. I know its not as tasty as jelly babies but thats good as i,m less likely to OD on it! (and it fits in my pocket better!)I know its supposed to be mixed with water and put in the fridge for hours but that makes a right mess in my rucksack :)
Orange G3

Comments

• rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    My kids swear by it for swimming galas. Never tried it for cycling, but can't see why it wouldn't work as a quick source of energy. You can get the nutritional information off the back of the pack: look for the kcal rating and the 'of which sugars' percentage on the carbohydrate count. Compare that with alternative energy snack of your choice. It's not going to count towards your 5-a-day, but presumably that's not what you want it for.
  • rhext
    ...and if you did want to keep in in the fridge, you might find a trailer is easier than a rucksack.
  • ADJD
    thanks! roughly how many calories should i be taking on per hour of cycling?i'm 12 stone and moderately fit. and should all the cals be from sugar? i reckon i could replace my expensive sports drink with cheap squash and jelly!!!! would this work??????
    Orange G3
  • rhext
    Ah, now you're expecting science. I have no idea. For what it's worth, if I'm going out for anything less than an hour and half, I'll take water. If I'm out for an all-day ride, I'll probably take two litres of energy drink (something like high-5)...but I'd be more than happy to substitute a block of jelly for the energy drinks...or flapjack, or nutri-grain bar, or pretty much anything with a lot of simple carbohydrate. I reckon these sugar things are only really good for a short 'feel-good' boost in prep/recovery for particularly nasty climbs. In my experience it's much more important to eat well the day before than worry about topping up during the ride - but I don't race and wouldn't expect to cover more than 50-60 miles in a day.
  • ADJD
    50~60 miles....... bloody hell, lucky if i get as far as 30.lol Thanks for the info though. much appreciated :
    Orange G3
  • Secla
    Secla Posts: 71
    as said sugar will give you a quick hit of energy but nothing lasting
    for lasting energy you want low gi carbs before going outm brown pasta/brown rice/oats that kind of thing, obviously these arnt really any good for taking out with you on a long ride though, if im doing any prolonged or hard exercise i usually have oats about and hour before i just blend them up and put them in milk and drink them as i really dont like the taste much but they do the job
    on a long ride i take chicken/mayo wholemeal sandwich with me
    other good alternatives would be rice cakes or some kind of flapjack

your not going to get any kind of prolonged energy from a sugary drink or sweets