Which variant of 08 Rockshox Revelation to go for?

Crazy Geezer
Crazy Geezer Posts: 24
edited November 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys.. stumbled into a little more confusion..

Coil u-turn, air u turn or dual air??

What are the 3 good for?

Which should i buy?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    on what bike?

do you want air or coil spring?

do you want U turn or not?

and then what platorm of the 2 are you looking at (what number 409 or 426).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Sorry should've been more detailed..

For my Hardrock..

Not sure about air or coil.. what is air good for.. what is coil good for?

U-turn would be a plus.. but i wouldnt really use it..

• Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    if you are after the 426 air spring have a look at je james.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    The air-sprung fork will be lighter than the coil-sprung version, but the trade off is that air-sprung forks tend to be harder to get moving than coil-sprung. There is some thought that they don't feel as plush as a coil-sprung fork but in all honesty with the latest technology there's not a lot of difference that a mere mortal could detect.

Coil-sprung forks will be cheaper than air-sprung (simpler internals) and are better when the going gets tough - air heats up and becomes as it is compressed and repeated, heavy hits will soon affect the performance of an air fork (which is why nearly all downhill forks and shocks are coil-sprung).

The biggest difference though is in setup. With an air-sprung fork, you add or remove air to adjust the preload; but with a coil spring you have to physically swap out the spring for a firmer or softer one depending upon the application. There will be some preload adjustment, but the window is very small.

So the question is; do you want a cheaper, plusher fork that is better at absorbing repeated big hits but is heavier and has a smaller range of adjustment (in which case the coil-sprung version is for you); or do you want a lighter, more expensive, more adjustable fork that isn't quite as plush and may fade if you batter it (in which case go for the air-sprung version)?
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • In what kind of enviroment would you use dual air forks?

Would you use them for jumping/ downhilling or trailing..

in what area do they excell?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    the revelation isnt a jump/dh fork full stop.
  • chrisga
    chrisga Posts: 587
    Dual air doesnt make the fork harder or softer, and it doesnt mean its a jump fork. Basically dualair means you have 2 air chambers in the fork leg. The positive air side acts as the coil spring (like if you had coil forks). This is then counter acted by another chamber (the negative air). This smaller chamber is designed to take some of the load off the fork at the beginning of the stroke, i.e. to make it more compliant over small bumps. Its a very good system as you set the positive and negative air up separately so the positive will always be right for your weight/riding preference and can then fine tune the negative side to give your required suppleness over small bumps, and again that can be set to your personal preference. I believe with these forks you can also do all the lockout stuff so you still get to lockout if climbing or on road etc etc.

Hope that helps.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675

in what area do they excell?

all mountain use.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown