seatpost sizing (dawes tourer)

byakuya
byakuya Posts: 3
edited October 2008 in Workshop
Hi All,

I'm looking for help regarding seatpost sizing.
I need to replace the seatpost on my 5-year old Dawes Super Galaxy tourer. Looking around on retailers & manufacturers websites, there doesn't seem to be much (actually, any!) available in the diameter I need (24.5 mm - the smallest i've seen so far is 27mm). So I'm wondering;
a) am I doing something silly in the way I determined the size - I just measured my current seatpost diameter with a caliper - 24.5mm
b)how exact does it have to be? I see some seatposts offered in very close diameters (e.g 26.8, 27, 27.2 !), so I guess it has to be spot on, or...?
c) is this a really unusual seatpost size and if so where could I find a replacement.

Thanks,
Byakuya

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    clean your current seat post and the size should be stamped on it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • thanks, I'll try that.
  • You can usually go 0.1mm either side, so 24.4 - 24.6mm should be okay. Better to check what's written or stamped on the seatpost...
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Your LBS will be able to measure it accurately and advise on an a replacement.

The last time I bought a replacement it was microns smaller than the down tube. Every time I went over a bump the step slipped a bit further down!

bob