Sorry, another fork upgrade question

NIGEL_ASH
NIGEL_ASH Posts: 56
edited October 2008 in MTB buying advice
OK, complete newbie after some buying advice. I'm new to MTB and have recently bought a Mongoose Otero Elite. The bike is great for my needs, well mostly that is. The only thing i'm struggling with is the soft forks, despite the rebound set as high as it will go, the Suntour XCM HLO forks might as well be made of cheese.

Write ups for this bike consider it a good base to upgrade and i'm just beginning to see that myself. With around £250 budget now available for some new forks, my LBS have recommended Rock Shox Tora Race Air with Poplock as a good replacement. Question is, I wouldn't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, all I know is the current forks are diving straight through their travel.

Any advice on these suggested Rock Shox forks? Much appreciated
Custom FS built around a Mongoose Otero frame
CUBE Ltd Race

Comments

• Tora forks will be a massive improvement on your existing fork, but have a look at Rockshox Reba as an alternative. http://merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=1070&categoryId=18
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Because the Tora Race is Solo Air you can adjust it as you like to your body weight,
    by simply puting more or less air in it (softer or stiffer).

I would take it if it's under 200, if not then the Reba sugested is a better option.
  • easyg
    easyg Posts: 266
    Crumbs £250 squids would prob get you some revelations?! however they might not be appropriate for the bike (I don't really know much about it) - step in supersonic...
    "If you think straight enough, you can see round corners"
  • You can pick up revelations for £250, but they will probably not have u-turn for that money, so will be 130mm travel. This is probably too much for that frame.
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    if you do end up wanting the rebas send me a PM as i have some that im about to chuck on to hte ebay. Im not looking for the £250 you have said you wanted to spend....

for a 250 fork have a look for some reverlations.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas