Campagnolo axle / Bottom Bracket renovation Gios Torino

andynewman
andynewman Posts: 51
edited October 2008 in Workshop
Hello. I am renovating a Gios Torino Professional, and it turning into the quest that I expected it to be.
I need a new '70 ss axle' to replace the pitted one I have. Obviously this is proving difficult.
Does anyone know if I can use a modern Campag BB instead of hunting down a new axle?
What steps do I need to take to check the new one would fit before I buy it?
To make things more fun, Im looking for Italian threaded.

Comments

• I have a 1996 steel frame and I fitted a 2008 BB record ultra torque, no problem at all. I'm not aware of changes in BB size over the years, but I might be wrong. The BB has to match the crankset though, so for a restoration you should go for conventional axle type. Italian thread is no problem, you find both english and european on the market. I also have a 1984 frame with Campy super record in Italy, never changed the BB, but I think it's same size and thread.
    For old stuff you can eithertry e-bay or there was a trader of old campy stuff

http://www.campyoldy.co.uk/

Try and ask them.
    left the forum March 2023
  • grat! thanks for your advice!
    I contacted campyoldy, and he said that it should be possible (as temporary measure, prior to complete restoration) to use a modern triple BB in place of original.
    Am keen to save where I can - unlikely as am dealing with an old bike
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I put a modern 111mm Campagnolo sealed BB in my Gios - trying to get held of an original BB axle was going to be expensive and time-consuming on EBay and I have one less thing to worry about. You tend to forget how time-consuming old parts were - if you didn't take them out and service them regularly they often wouldn't come out at all!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I'm glad you all ride frames from my hometown Turin. I've never owned one... I have a Sannino, made in Turin as well, iit was beautiful red, then 10 years ago I got it resprayed white (don't ask why... ) and it was impossible to find the Sannino decals as the guy doesn't make frames any longer... so there... an anonymous Sannino with a quill saying Sannino on.
    Other than that it's still a fantastic bike, changed the super record pedals as they were shattered and found only the Campagnolo Victory of the time, still beautiful. I did the Eroica twice on it.

When you finish your restoration you have to ride the Eroica, you'll see the most amazing vintage bikes there...
    left the forum March 2023
  • thanks for the advice everyone. certainly modern kit make my life easier - i want to ride the bike, not look at it in a stand!
    The Eroica sounds wonderful....I'll try and explain to the wife!