Acacio da Silva

josame
josame Posts: 1,141
edited October 2008 in Pro race
Any info on him Kleber?

Great Name!
'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I don't know where he is today! He had a solid career, picking up sorts of wins and placings thanks to his hard work and attacking style.
  • Birillo
    Birillo Posts: 417
    I always had reservations about him after he won a TDF time trial, beating all the favourites, by a large margin. A bit like Stefan Schumacher this year . . . . .
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Birillo wrote:
    I always had reservations about him after he won a TDF time trial, beating all the favourites, by a large margin. A bit like Stefan Schumacher this year . . . . .

which year did Da Silva win a TDF time trial?
  • I remember him wininng a 1988 tour stage for the KAS team. I think he beat Steven Rooks in a sprint that became a famous Graham Watson image.

There is loads of good stuff and jersey images at http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    He rode for Carrerra and Festina - no doubt passing his experiences of Dr Cecchini to all and sundry...
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    edited October 2008
    why have a go at Da Silva about drugs? He didn't win much in the sport, but at least took out a great stage catching certain drug user like Rooks in 88. I liked ACDs story-he dodged military service but could not go back to Portugal as a result. As for doping...move on to bigger targets?
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    In the '86 Nissan Classic, Kelly had a mechanical right in front of me on St. Patricks Hill and I recall Da Silva having to hand over his bike and then wait for the team car to struggle up to him. Kelly had dropped his own bike on the road and it slid back down the hill into the upcoming bunch.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'