Making self `too' visible = making self a target?

nielsamd
nielsamd Posts: 174
edited October 2008 in Commuting chat
Given the number of angry white van types out there and ~~18-25 y.o.s `out for a laff' driving about I have been wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the idea that one can overdo the self-visibility factor to the point where you actually incite something in the brains of Neanderthal types to try something on with you.

This all goes back to when I was a teenager out cycling and I randomly happened to be cycling behind a very good looking blonde girl from my school in very short shorts. Van comes up alongside , male passenger pats her on her rear end `as one does' in their minds, she gets startled, falls off, and goes face first onto a drain cover. Much blood. Facial scarring for life. All because she caught their eye. Attraction comes in many forms. Obviously I'm not blaming any victim... just analyzing the `attraction' factor.

So if you wear e.g. `too much' flourescent yellow.. do you end up a more attractive target? `Too many' lights at night? Is there a balanced point of visibility? Any experiences one way or the other?

Comments

• Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    I have limited experience of commuting, either at night or in daylight, but I would imagine the risk of proking any kind of attack by being visible would be vastly outweighed by the benefits of being seen clearly by drivers.
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Jen J wrote:
    I have limited experience of commuting, either at night or in daylight, but I would imagine the risk of proking any kind of attack by being visible would be vastly outweighed by the benefits of being seen clearly by drivers.

Seconded. To not be seen is asking for trouble.

Dennis Noward
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    My experience is that there are many, many more drivers that are unlikely to see you unless you resemble an overdone christmass tree than there are that would attack you.

And I don't really think we can predict anything about what'd attract them - perhaps someone in full on hi-viz is more experienced and therefore more likely to have the presence of mind to remember their numberplate?

One thing I have noticed on the motorbike, though, is that since I've been wearing the hi-viz, i've been treated with a large shovel load more respect by road users. I get more space, cut up less, allowed through more often. I can only imagine that it's the idea that I'm a sensible rider that does it.
  • fonty1978
    fonty1978 Posts: 101
    On my commute home if it's past 5 pm i put both rear lights on [1 flashing, 1 steady] as they are xtremely bright lights.

IMHO if motorists are aware of something other than another car ahead, coupled with reflective gear highlighting my presence tends to at least make them think for a second.

In some respects i think the brighter your lights are the more you will be given a wider berth than if you were cycling in broad daylight.
    Commuter Surosa Toledo S34 Audax
    Best Bike Merida Road Race 901-18

In truth i love them both
  • I'm lit up like a christmas tree ; rear light on bike and on back, front flasher, but it's the wheel lights that get em going... and I swear they've saved me from some right-turning hurried potential side-swipers.

and they make drunks laugh.

:D
  • I use what I would describe a more than adequate lighting, and no one has ever patted me on the ar$e. However I am open to offers, so long as they come from fit biddies :-)
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • Bagman
    Bagman Posts: 311
    I'd rather be seen and shouted at than lowered into the ground accompanied by some kind words and a psalm
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I'm pretty sure from the front people think I'm a moped rather than a cyclist. I've seen a few pissed off faces as I near cars waiting to pull out of road ends!
  • Not exactly, but you can kid yourself into thinking people see you because of loads of lights and hi-viz. A good light front and back and the usual reflective stuff on clothing is adequate IMO. Road positioning and awareness is what counts after that.

You can be like a Xmas tree in a blind spot and they won't see you any better.
  • nielsamd
    nielsamd Posts: 174
    Well there seems to be a pretty good consenus that it is is better to `err' on the side of very high visibility accepting the positioning/awareness qualification in the message immediatly above.
    I `like' the telling comment about drivers being pi**ed off when they discover you're not a moped and `only' a cyclist.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Definitely err on the side of visibility. If you;re commuting I'm thinking that not many people will pat you on the arse in traffic. More likely for that to happen on a quiet journey ?