Gerard Rue

dave_1
dave_1 Posts: 9,512
edited October 2008 in Pro race
damn good rider! Vanished as well

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Once touted as the "other trump card of the Super U team" alongside Fignon, he never lived up to the hopes placed on him. I last saw him at the Tour de France as a car driver for the VIPs. Today he runs a sports shop on in an industrial estate near Nantes.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Kléber wrote:
    Once touted as the "other trump card of the Super U team" alongside Fignon, he never lived up to the hopes placed on him. I last saw him at the Tour de France as a car driver for the VIPs. Today he runs a sports shop on in an industrial estate near Nantes.

Interesting Kleber. He was a bit like Jean Francois Bernard in that respect...I just remember Rue set some hellish fast tempos for Miguel who would then take over on the final climb and murder everyone in the GC frame. You still have to rate Rue highly..some domestiques who gave up their own careers for the money to be made from guys who could win are still worthy of respect like those who did not win grand tours like Mottet or Anderson? How many years does a pro have? Not surprising guys LIK JFB and Rue went for the big pay packet Indurain must have brought
  • I love retro threads...

Super U had the great Vincent Barteau and Wayne Bennington in their ranks.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Wayne Bennington
    http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=5496, he's a taxi driver in the French town of Troyes, co-incidentally were former Super-U team mate Pascal Simon is also cabbing.
  • Pascal Simon drives cabs for a living? :shock:
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Yea I think I read that in the search for Robert Miller book. They used to go on training rides together?

Or am I thinking of somebody else??