Another chainset query

lastpubrunner
lastpubrunner Posts: 108
edited October 2008 in Workshop
I have a few bikes; one has a 52/42 chainset, another has a 52/48 chainset (because of this, I rarely ride it) and yet another has a compact 50/34 chainset.

Cos I live in a hilly area (foothills of Berwyn Mountains), I hardly ever use the larger chainrings on any of the bikes. On steep hills, I 'coast' down and only on gradual downhills, I might use the outer chainrings. The compact is great for going up, but I tend to 'stick' with the 34 ring in all circumstances, rather than use the 50 ring. I cycle only occasionally, so I'm not as fit as most on this site.

Is it possible to get a chainset something in the region of 46/34 ? I feel that would be a combination which would enable me to use the large chainring. By nature, I'm more a 'spinner' than a 'grinder'. I don't require a triple, as I don't really need anything lower than 34.

I'd be very grateful for any advice/information; I'd especially be pleased if someone could tell me just where I could buy such a chainset.

Thank you very much

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Just buy a 46T 110mm BCD ring and bolt it onto your compact.
  • whyamihere wrote:
    Just buy a 46T 110mm BCD ring and bolt it onto your compact.

Yes, but I'd like an entirely new chainset on the bikes which currently have 52/42 & 52/48.
  • whyamihere
    Ah, my apologies, I misunderstood somewhat.

Shimano's Nexave comes in 34/48: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Shima ... 300002637/

Alternatively, Shimano has moved LX from being an MTB group into more of a touring setup, so you can get an HTII LX set with 48/36, but they will have a greater Q factor.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I've not seen any 34/46 being sold as a chainset. I think the best solution is to buy a 34/50, sell the 50t on as brand new, and then buy a 46t ring.

You'll lose a bit of cash but not much. Shaimno, TA, Middleburn, Stronglight all do 110mm BCD rings in 46t.

I run 34/48 and it works well. The 48 is fine for most terrain and then I have the 34 for really steep stuff.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • maddog 2 wrote:
    I run 34/48 and it works well. The 48 is fine for most terrain and then I have the 34 for really steep stuff.

Is it possible to buy a 34/48 chainset ?

If so, which would you recommend ?

Thank you
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Campag used to sell 34/48 straight out of the box but as far as I know they are 34/50 nowadays. Shimano have always been 34/50. Stronglight do a 34/48 in the Impact.

Depends on your budget really. Have a look on ChainReaction, Ribble, Parkers, Ebay etc. You'll find something I'm sure.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere wrote:
    ;)