Camping At TDF

RichardB101
RichardB101 Posts: 77
edited May 2009 in Pro race
Hi any tips on what will be allowed and where you can camp allong the roads for the alp stages of the tour like. Bernard , romme and Annecy TT.

Comments

• It's been many years since I've camped in France, it is illegal outside of approved campsites, but this is ignored as far as TdF is concerned, judging by the profussion of tents & motorhomes lining the roads in the high mountains.
    If you can find a legit campsite near to the route, you're probably best to book & use it, at least you'll have some decent washing facilities after a long day on the road. (& somewhere to dry your kit if it's pissing it down!)
    Alternatives are, just get to a suitable looking spot early (Which may mean days prior to the race coming up a mountain) and just pitching your tent, if your French is up to it and you can find the land owner, ask if you can pitch in his field, or even front garden. It might cost you a few Euros or a bottle or three, but you may get to use their shower & toilet too.
    Be warned, it can get pretty cold in the mountains, even in July.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Thanks OffTheBackAdam

What do you think about watching the Grand bernard stage and then driving that night to the romme or Col de la Colombière then camping up there to save a spot for the stage . Will it allready be full a day in advance and do you think driving inbetween will be to long due to the traffic.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    As Adam says, during the Tour, ‘wild’ camping is tolerated in France on the open ground in the high mountains next to the route, without the need to seek permission, and I’m sure a lot of mobile homes will be up the Colombiere the night before the Tour passes.

If you decide on that, you should abide by the same rules for camping on someone’s land with permission, which means:
    - no fires, including camping stoves, within 100 m of any woods (some localities also forbid smoking within this distance from tree or shrub groups)
    - no camping in any areas designated nature reserves, etc
    - no leaving rubbish or anything else behind when you move on

If you decide on a campsite, there’s a decent enough one at Cluses and last time I was there when the Tour was two days in the area (starting the second day at Cluses), it was never full.
  • volvine
    volvine Posts: 409
    Hi i am thinking exatley the same thing was planning on driving and finding a pitch on the Col de Romme throwing the tent up and waiting for the race to come through also planning on having a go at riding up the Col before the race passes.
    hopefully arive on the tuesday afternoon i am hoping most people will be on the final climb of the Col de la Colombiere but never been before so don't know what to expect tbh.
    is it advisable to waith till the following day to return or as soon as the race passes??? :?
  • chipperleenie
    chipperleenie Posts: 217
    Normally after a stage finish the traffic is horrendous. What I normally try and do is park about 10 or 20 miles away then ride in and watch up the mountain, you never normally have trouble finding a place to watch and have to ride up 4 hours before as on a lot of climbs they will close the roads to traffic the night before and even stop you cycling 3 or 4 hours before.
    Then after the race descend and ride to your car, you will probably end up with a huge train of riders all going the same way. Sometimes cars will be stopped for an hour or so after the stage and at other times they will be clogging the descent as soon as the race has passed. After the race you are quicker on a bike than you are in a car due to the limited number of roads in the mountainous areas.